BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some help on finding a new SI Board for my 88 325e coupe. BavAuto and Pelican Parts are charging $238 and $257 respectively and they don't even have lithium batteries:dunno. Does anyone know where I could find a remanufactured Board for around $125-$150?? Can anyone point me in the right direction?:dunno::eeps:

·
Uniquely desultory
7,607 Posts
Replacing the batteries is tough. I've done it twice and nearly blew it the second time. I can solder copper plumbing together like nobody's business but that low temp soldering is something else. I suspect I'll someday need a new board - if the car live that long - so I was curious and did a search also. I'm finding something better than that on Pelican Parts, not sure why:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&bookmark=21&part_number=62-11-9-070-793-M250

Somewhat down the page, they have it with batteries for $198.

·
Bavarian Autosport
415 Posts
Ours has a $60 core charge on it too. So if you send back your old one afterwards we'll refund you $60. Making the new board $178.95. If the original one lasted 25 years I'm sure the new one will last plenty long also lithium batteries or not.

·
Bavarian Autosport
415 Posts
Sorry I didn't explain that very well. The boards come with batteries. Originals weren't lithium but they tend to last about 20 years. Yours is probably original now. Mine is and I have an 89. On the 86-older E30's the new boards actually use flash memory instead of batteries. But apparently that doesn't work on the later version so they retain the original design with batteries.

·
Uniquely desultory
7,607 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about that - the older boards being more simple that is. I almost trashed my board with clumsy soldering the second time. It was only some heavy finessing with a magnifying glass and a bit of luck that I salvaged it and got it working. Next time out, I'll just get a new board (if the car lives that long).

·
Nick's Toys
1,324 Posts
Soldering PC boards

a tip from somebody who solders electronics, including surface mount, every day.
Good light is vital :thumbup:
I have a lamp with a 6" magnifying glass attached on my work bench, as well
and I got myself a watchmakers loupe that you pop into 1 eye-socket
In the end I got myself a set of surgeon eyeglasses that have a magnifying glass built into it. It was expensive, but worth it :bigpimp:

get a universal electronics clamp to hold things for you
a good soldering Iron is a must. I used Antex before I went onto a Weller soldering station with various bits.
Solder suckers are cheap & beat blowing molten solder all over the place

When you get older your hands shake, so make sure you can rest your wrists on something.
Make sure your workbench is ergonomic and that you have a bench at the right height to your chair.

With a bit of planning you can set up your workplace, as a place to enjoy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts