BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got rear ended the other day in a parking lot by an old lady ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467325951.101275.jpg

As you can see the damage was minor but the cops were called and insurance were aswell. The car went to the body shop. However I wasn't to upset because the lady had insurance and they're covering everything. However I'm sick to my stomach because on the carfax now, there is an accident reported.. How will this affect the resale value on 1-3 years?

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
You are doomed, doomed to the depths of perdition! Your car is now worth $1.98 and that's if you put $2 in the glove box!! :rofl:

No really, don't obsess over this. Just keep the receipts for the work and explain exactly what was done. Your car is a 2008 - it makes NO DIFFERENCE in value to an older car; the vehicle's mileage and condition are what matter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. The body shop actually re painted the whole car because they told me, if they replaced the bumper and trunk they might as well replace the paint. So majority of the car got painted sounds crazy I know. But that's happened. Which is a plus. So this won't affect the resale at all?

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
When it's time to sell this won't effect the price very much. Whether it's painted or they replace the bumper, they're just going to see minor accident aka scratch. Show them the repair order. Don't sweat it. It fixed now drive fast again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
"Minor" accident??

Well. The body shop actually re painted the whole car because they told me, if they replaced the bumper and trunk they might as well replace the paint. So majority of the car got painted sounds crazy I know. But that's happened. Which is a plus. So this won't affect the resale at all?
:dunno:

That seems a bit "over the top" - R&R of bumper and trunk ... were other body panels involved?? A complete repaint should not have been necessary or even recommended unless the body shop was unable or incapable of properly matching the original paint.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

We are deeply saddened by your loss. You, of course, will shortly make available your BMW for purchase as you negotiate with your new car dealer.

Is your price ready for offer?

·
Registered
443 Posts
On a older BMW, I don't see it affecting it that much. I'd be a lot more interested in maintenance records or receipts to know what big ticket items have been repaired. that and how much it's been modified, which sometimes means it's been driven hard.... if there are no records.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm amazed that the insurance claim guy went along with painting more than the bumper.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess we'll have to wait and see. The claim guy was surprisingly nice. And was willing to pay for everything. I have the BMW Pe exhaust and was bent a bit. And offered to replace it if it wasn't fixable(which it was) I wonder if they do this to get customers for there insurance?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
On a older BMW, I don't see it affecting it that much. I'd be a lot more interested in maintenance records or receipts to know what big ticket items have been repaired. that and how much it's been modified, which sometimes means it's been driven hard.... if there are no records.
Who you callin' modified, driven hard, and old?

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Glad it was taken care of! Nice to see a fellow Ohioan here on the forum!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But anyways, whoever is looking for an awesome body shop, and a great group of guys to work with in the western part of Ohio. I highly recommend jake sweeneys body shop. Excellent job, and well done on the work. Exceted my expectations and was extremely helpful. I'll never go anywhere else again for body work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the CarFax. I drove a 135i convertible several years ago, got rear ended. The repair bill was HUGE (more than 11k) but the frame wasn't bent. The insurance covered everything and even gave me back the deductibe (they went after the lady's insurance company), and I even got $3000 in a diminished value claim. The accident was reported on the CarFax yet when I sold it it was worth $70 more than the book value.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I guess we'll have to wait and see. The claim guy was surprisingly nice. And was willing to pay for everything. I have the BMW Pe exhaust and was bent a bit. And offered to replace it if it wasn't fixable(which it was) I wonder if they do this to get customers for there insurance?
Perhaps he's doing so because once they cut you a check they're no longer on the hook should you develop injuries (you didn't specify if you were driving at the time...I assume you pulled into the parking space to take the picture). Or, maybe he's just being a really nice guy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After 3 weeks I finally got my baby back! ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467985514.675560.jpg

Turns out they re painted the entire car including the wheels. Thankful for insurance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts