Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F10 has RSC Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires (245 40/R19) and one tire has a side bubble. The dealer said that this can be caused by pot holes or hitting a curb. When I googled side bubbles I found several hits with the same make and model tire. The tire is out of warranty so I need to buy new tires and I don't want to get this same model. I was wondering if someone can recommend a tire that might be a little more rugged for general use and less likely to get side bubble problems. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had huge problems with the 19 inch wheels and goodyear run flat tires. I think I had 6 tires in a 1 1/2 year have the problem you describe. This past year I switched to Bridgestone drive guard tires and am much happier with them.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Yes, LS2's are notorious for doing that. But, that $350 run-flat tire might have sacrificed itself to save your $500 wheel.

People speak highly of Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT's (their term for run-flat is "extended mobility") , saying they ride better than the Goodyear's. The other path is to ditch the RFT's for non-RFT's. The ride will be greatly improved. But, there's the greater possibility of "bottoming out" a non-RFT and damaging the wheel. Also, you'd be wise to obtain a spare if you plan on driving your $70k BMW on a road trip anywhere. A spare and jack kit will be about $500, and will take up trunk space, since F10's don't have a hole under the trunk floor for a spare. (G30's, the next generation 5 Series does offer an optional spare stored under a slightly raised (about 8"), flat trunk floor.

My big gripe with the LS2's that came on my 2014 535i was that they wore as if they were underinflated. I fixed that by overinflating them. But, then they rode and handled horribly. My solution was to get some Michelin high-performance non-RFT's. (I carried a spare in the car from the day I brought it home from the dealership, even with RFT's.) They transformed the car. It now rides and handles like... oh, I don't know... a $70k BMW should ride and handle.

If the status quo is acceptable, you could still buy a new, BMW spec' LS2 from Tire Rack ($363), and have them shave it down to match the tread depth of your existing LS2's ($35).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire... Line&autoModClar=Built on or before 02/28/14

With xDrive, the closer the tread depths are on all four tires the less wear you will put on the clutches in your xDrive transfer case. A new transfer case is about $4k. Actually, for transfer case clutch wear, what's specifically important is that the average tire rolling diameter on the front axle is very close to the average tire rolling diameter on the back axle. Replacing both tires on one axle will actually cause more clutch wear than replacing just one tire. But, different vastly tread depths on the same axle can cause some dangerous handling in the rain, where one tire grips and one tire doesn't. So, your best choices are replace the damaged tire with a shaved one, or replace all four.

If you really need to save money and your three remaining LS2's are close to being worn out, you'd likely find a used LS2 on BestUsedTires.com, and likely one close to the tread depth of your other three tires.

Your signature doesn't say where you are. But, since you have an xDrive BMW, I presume that you see snow. Unless you want to have two sets of tires and wheels (one for winter and one for summer), you probably want to stick with all-season tires. The LS2's are "touring" tires. "Touring" is a euphemism for "low-performance." They do make "high-performance all-season" tires. They're a compromise. But, they'd still handle be better than those LS2's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My retired F10 had a number of side bubbles on the BadYear LS2s. I hated the ride of the tires but liked the idea of runflats. I also opted for a new set of DriveGuards. They were fantastic and I never had any problems for them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help and especially Autoputzer for the detailed explaination. I don***8217;t know any mechanics. I***8217;m very thankful that I found this forum and that there are folks that are willing to help strangers with questions like this.

·
HUFINGTON
923 Posts
My retired F10 550 had a huge side bubble on the inside of the rear tire as you can see in the picture below.

The car was making a slight thumping noise and the rear was slightly wobbling on my way to PA. It was in the middle of the night and pouring. When I checked it in the dark, I could not see anything because of the bubble's position. The TPMS was showing full inflation in all tires so I kept on driving.

The next day, I brought the car to a tire store and they have discovered this huge bulge. Mind you, the tire must have taken the pothole hit and still kept it together and I drove on it almost 250 miles w/o any problems. And the rim was fine as well, no cracks or bends.

As much as I hated the driving feel of the RFT tires, they are truly necessary at times and lately they have gotten much better in terms of comfort and durability. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts