BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the little ABS tabs that secured my driver's side mirror cover gave up the ghost today. After a little searching around the web it seems that purchasing a replacement already painted to match ain't gonna happen.

What should I expect to pay for the paint job for this $30 part? Should I go ahead and have the shop respray my slightly scratched rear bumper while I'm at it?

For others looking, here's the description from RealOEM.com

COVERING PRIMEND LEFT PN#51168238375 $35.99

Upon closer inspection, it looks like they do sell painted versions for an extra $100. Totally worth it in my mind to avoid the hassle...

TIA,

Ben

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spoke with a nice rep at RealOEM.com a few moments ago and picked up a few details.
  • Purchasing the pre-painted mirror covers is a waste of time/money - they're so scratched and beat up by the time they reach you they require repainting.
  • Napa will custom mix paint to match and even put it in a spray can.

Part is ordered, 7-10 day turnaround.

Not sure if I'll go the can or shop route but am looking forward to getting the repair completed.

Ben

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Ben I had one replaced at a body shop 2 yrs ago, they charged me 75.00 painted and installed. Do not paint it with a spray can unless you have other parts on your car that are different colors than the rest of the car, It will look like utter $hit, have it painted for 75.00 and snap it in place.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call. I was leaning that way and am planning to get a quote for the rear bumper re-spray and a door ding fix while I'm at it. I think this little project just sucked up the cash I set aside for my HD DICE install.

Damn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mirror

I had the same problem except I can not snap on the cover because the 4 plastic mounts that seat on the mirror itself where the cover snaps on broke. I bought the plastic mounts, $4 each but they have to be installed from the inside. In other words, I need to remobe the mirror itself first to gain access to that area.

I have not figure out how to remove the mirror. Any ideas?

THanks
allsport

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure I understand your problem. On my mirror, the male plastic mounts from the cover are inserted into holes in the side mirror assembly that are metal, cast aluminum, IIRC.

What year is your car? On another topic, how is the air suspension holding up?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I have an Alpine White car and considering black to hide the mirrors and match my black grilles and window tint.

Air suspension in an E39?? A few details please.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts