BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I purchased a 2012 535i. Upon getting home from the dealership, I realized that the front right side view camera was malfunctioning. It displays a blue screen, while the left one briefly displayed the image.

I called a BMW dealership seeking repairs and that sounds like a bunch of time, money, and nonsense that I do not want to go through.

If I want to replace this camera on the front right side by myself, how do I go about that? Can anyone please provide me with any directions or a recommended camera model to take the place of the faulty one?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You would want to replace with OEM. This will avoid weird fitment or compatibility issues. Its curious that both sides dont work though?

Most of that fender stuff can be accessed through the wheel well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi, I had an issue with one of my side view cameras and I bought a replacement off eBay but while the faulty one was actually faulty, so too was the cable. The problem is that the cables eventually allow moisture ingress and this corrodes the pins in the connectors. The cables don't come cheap and the job to replace them is extensive. If you can get away with replacing the camera only, fantastic and that is an easy job. I did a DIY here:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/125551-side-view-camera-failure/#comment-1349520

It is a long post with the first part showing how to replace the camera and then scroll down to where I replaced the cable - that one took me all day!

·
In my own little world
210 Posts
I had a similar issue. The dealer replaced the left camera and all wiring back to the rear (was a water / corrosion issue they said). It was there for 2 days, had the whole car reprogrammed etc. A lot of labor charges for it, glad was under warranty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Some time ago I bought an aftermarket kit to install a front camera in the lower front grill, and it's the amount of messing about I'll have to do to get the wiring in that keeps delaying the install. Getting wires through the bulkhead is the worst bit, it's not like the good old days when all you needed was as electric drill and some grommets :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some time ago I bought an aftermarket kit to install a front camera in the lower front grill, and it's the amount of messing about I'll have to do to get the wiring in that keeps delaying the install. Getting wires through the bulkhead is the worst bit, it's not like the good old days when all you needed was as electric drill and some grommets :)
Now that I've done it it isn't too difficult a job. Getting the ventilation fan out was a pain working out how to do it. It is always easier when you know how! If you want any tips, just let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I had an issue with one of my side view cameras and I bought a replacement off eBay but while the faulty one was actually faulty, so too was the cable. The problem is that the cables eventually allow moisture ingress and this corrodes the pins in the connectors. The cables don't come cheap and the job to replace them is extensive. If you can get away with replacing the camera only, fantastic and that is an easy job. I did a DIY here:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/125551-side-view-camera-failure/#comment-1349520

It is a long post with the first part showing how to replace the camera and then scroll down to where I replaced the cable - that one took me all day!
thank you very much sir! Turns out, I already had a tab open that was to the precise article you linked me to :) It shall be of great use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts