BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know how to adjust the side view mirror so it will come back to it original position after shifting the trans into reverse? Also, the mirror adjustment switch does not work, is this a fuse problem or is it tied with the bad placement of the mirror after going in reverse?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The passenger side mirror should automatically return to its preset position when you take the tranny out of reverse. Check to make sure that the backup lights at the trunk aren't staying on after the tranny is shifted out if reverse.

You've written that the mirror position switch doesn't work. Are you saying it doesn't work for both mirrors, or just the passenger mirror. The mirror adjustment switch communicates directly with the driver mirror memory module but via the k-bus with the passenger mirror memory module. So, you could have a k-bus issue. Are there any other electrical/electronic issues with the car? I ask because the k-bus is used for may functions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side mitt or issues

Thanks for your input. I checked the back up lights and they do go off when not in reverse. The mirror adjustment switch does not work for both mirrors but the only other electrical issue is the clock, which I can not set. So how do I trouble shoot the K bus as you have mentioned.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The switch or it's connector suspect. Why? The switch's signals for the driver's mirror don't use the k-bus. It's a direct connection as far as I can tell. If the select switch is in the passenger position the signals go via the k-bus to that mirror's memory module.

Pull the switch from the drivers door. Make sure it's properly plugged in. Did you check the fuses (31 & 57)?

·
Registered
60 Posts
mirror adjustment not working

I had similar problem with mirror adjustment not working on both mirrors on my 2005 325xi.
Turned out it was the ribbon cable that was part of the driver's mirror assembly, one of the traces was corroded and finally broke off, causing both driver's and passenger's side mirrors to lose adjustment functions.
To access this ribbon cable you need to remove the whole driver's side mirror assembly:
remove the door panel, then disconnect the cable harness for the mirror. Remove the 2 mirror mounting bolts then carefully pull the mirror out from the door, while feeding the cables and connector through the hole. Be gentle with the ribbon cable as it is rather fragile.
If you are handy with soldering iron you can repair the break on the ribbon cable by soldering a short piece of copper wire on it, otherwise you may have to replace the whole mirror assembly.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts