Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Light snow, stopped to make a left, and the guy behind slid past me on the passenger side, scraping along the entire way. Lost a mirror and a door handle, gained dents from the rear quarter panel and both doors. Fingers crossed the suspension is ok. I have to imagine there’s a few thousand in repairs in there, though I’ll have to wait a few days to find out. At 130K miles, I can see the claims adjuster just looking at KBB and saying the value is only 3-4K (which could be less than the repair bill), notwithstanding the fact that similar ZHPs are on the market for 7-8K. Anyone have experience dealing with insurance companies in something like this where the “book” says one thing and the market says another? I may be getting ahead of myself worrying about this, but I figure it’s better to be thinking a few steps ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Pictures would help but the ins co will most likely total it.
Your fight is going to to be proving the value of ZHP. It has value, start looking for comps... ZHP comps.

I have 25 years in the ins co / repairer / recycler solutions (software) business. Know a thing or two...

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have had three cars totaled. Here in California, they do not go by the "book value". That actually check comparable cars for sale and dealerships. That gets harder when vehicles get older, but still works. I have come out on the positive side of each one.

1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z in 2004. The car back and $4300+
2000 Dodge Durango (fully loaded SLT) in 2013 (I think). The car back and about $6,300.
2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited convertible in 2014. The car back, loan paid off, and about $4k.

We made over $1k parting out the '02. I repaired the Durango with a parts Durango in the same color that I bought for $1k and sold $2k in parts. We repaired the Daytona, but probably shouldn't have. Still came out ahead, though. The Durango and Chrysler total is pretty much what paid for the BMW...

·
Registered
443 Posts
All you can do is wait.

Insurance is different for each company. Only time will tell.

If they don’t total it out and decide to fix it, you can talk to your agent about a custom policy to cover the car for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
All you can do is wait.

Insurance is different for each company. Only time will tell.

If they don’t total it out and decide to fix it, you can talk to your agent about a custom policy to cover the car for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I might need to do this with my car. Insurance has it registered as a 330Ci, when it's really more than that to me. People around here can be VERY aggressive and do not care what damage or harm they cause, just as long as they get the last word in what could be an open-and-shut altercation (someone cuts someone off, they flip the bird, the other person flips the bird, end of story) or get one extra spot ahead in line.

Instead, it's, "You flashed your lights at me because I narrowly cut you off? How about I flip you off, swerve my car at yours, scream profanities at you, threaten to murder your children, and swerve my car at yours again?"

Many people NEED self-driving cars... they just don't realize it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update: the insurance company totaled it out. Major bummer. But with some guidance from the body shop and a ton of comps, i argues my way from $5500 to $10,200. So if it happens to you, keep pushing the unique value of the ZHP. It took over 2 weeks of arguing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did the same thing with our old '87 Daytona. Went from an initial offer of $1,700 to $4,100 and the car back. Congrats on the resolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts