BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of you here know that I had been complaing for a while about the trick 100% diff on my M3 making sideway driving quite difficult, coming from my E36 M3, which has a sideway characterisitcs that's so easy to control.

After much practice in 6 months, I am happy to report that me and my new M3's are once again in harmony:thumbup: The best was getting the car sideway following Hack to the onramp. And of course, not having the use the steering wheel for turning is just great. Ahh, I am slowly but surely growing to like this car more than my E36 M3...

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HW said:
so what do you do to drift?
1st gear, DSC off, slight turn on the wheel, FOOT TO THE FLOOR.:D

Be prepared to catch the rear fast!;)

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
HW said:
so what do you do to drift?
Brake a little hard/long on turn-in, then let the throttle steer your way out of it? Or brake hard before turn-in then stab the throttle enough to break free on the weight transfer to the rear outside wheel?

I'm guessing. Curious as to the answer myself.

EDIT: Ahhh, I now see the above. :D

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
:tsk: :tsk: Just don't try that on the way to Death Valley :D . Especially don't try it at any driving school where Carl McGinn might be around - you'll definitely get DFL! :lmao: :lmao:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ah so now I see why everyone says Stuka is THE mad man in the So Cal bunch:yikes:

Spending 6 months to find the best way to throw the car sideways, not liking the rev limiter at ~ 150, etc..................:D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
LOL...I was there to see him go sideways in my rearview mirror.

Although I definately do NOT condone such childish behavior, I was very surprised at how quickly Stuka regained control of his car...Within split second of looking like he's going to spin completely out of control, he got his car pointed the right way and next thing I know, he zoomed pass me and left me like I was standing still.

Did I mention he's got TWICE the HP I have?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
nat328ci: you mean tiff needell of top gear. the guy can drift into a parallel parking spot.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
HW said:
nat328ci: you mean tiff needell of top gear. the guy can drift into a parallel parking spot.
He is god.

Download the video of the M5, or the Lotus 340R. He does 360s that make your head spin.

I'm going to a stunt driving school to learn the same stuff... by next year I'll also have a car in which I can practice :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
HW said:
Yes, his drifts in the E46 M3 test drive are STUNNING. Just watching it again now, on every corner he drifted the rear wheel to the painted track edge. Stunning.

He was fawning over the car and the differential, btw.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with the 100% diff is....

nate328Ci said:

Yes, his drifts in the E46 M3 test drive are STUNNING. Just watching it again now, on every corner he drifted the rear wheel to the painted track edge. Stunning.

He was fawning over the car and the differential, btw.
that it is so good at transferring power that it takes a lot more power to break the rear end loose. :yikes: And because the car is carrying a lot more speed when you break the rear end loose, it was quite difficult to get graceful slides. In the beginning, it was like trying to tame a bucking bull with the rear going WAY too wide.

In the E36 M3, since the diff is only like, 30%, it was soooo easy to break the rear end loose with hardly any power. :D So a graceful looking slide was quite easy to do.

This is why I wonder why at the .org everyone kept talking about "I turned the DSC off, and the next thing I know, I crashed my car.":tsk:

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: The problem with the 100% diff is....

Stuka said:

that it is so good at transferring power that it takes a lot more power to break the rear end loose. :yikes: And because the car is carrying a lot more speed when you break the rear end loose, it was quite difficult to get graceful slides. In the beginning, it was like trying to tame a bucking bull with the rear going WAY too wide.

In the E36 M3, since the diff is only like, 30%, it was soooo easy to break the rear end loose with hardly any power. :D So a graceful looking slide was quite easy to do.

This is why I wonder why at the .org everyone kept talking about "I turned the DSC off, and the next thing I know, I crashed my car.":tsk:

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG
I would think drifting would be easier and smother with a better differential :dunno:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
i heard that the toyota ae86 (corolla coupe ~1985) is currently a favourite among import enthusiast/drifters. the ae86 was the last of the rwd corolla's. that car didn't have that much hp's.

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
HW said:
i heard that the toyota ae86 (corolla coupe ~1985) is currently a favourite among import enthusiast/drifters. the ae86 was the last of the rwd corolla's. that car didn't have that much hp's.
There is a whole series of Japanese comic called "Initial D", based on the AE86. It's about some guy who has to deliver tofu from one side of town to another, and he has to drive through some crazy mountain twisties for the delivery. The guy basically taught himself how to drift by trying to get through the mountain twisties as quickly as possible without destroying the tofu. :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: The problem with the 100% diff is....

nate328Ci said:

I would think drifting would be easier and smother with a better differential :dunno:
The only thing is that freaky trick differential on the E46 M3 will deliver whatever power to whatever wheel that still has grip, so it makes it impossible to break the rear wheel free unless both wheels lose traction.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The problem with the 100% diff is....

The HACK said:

The only thing is that freaky trick differential on the E46 M3 will deliver whatever power to whatever wheel that still has grip, so it makes it impossible to break the rear wheel free unless both wheels lose traction.
Yep, I can get my car WAY sideways in 1st and 2nd without much effort, even with my thundering 181lb-ft. :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: The problem with the 100% diff is....

Mystikal said:

Yep, I can get my car WAY sideways in 1st and 2nd without much effort, even with my thundering 181lb-ft. :D
We all know how good you are at drifting :flipoff:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts