BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting my new BMW to arrive within a week or so and asked my dealer if we could do paperwork before it arrives. They refused...

Why would they do this? I'm going to be out of town the week it shows up and wanted to lock up my car deal and make absolutely sure it's unavailable to other buyers. They already have a significant deposit and bank approval.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
967 Posts
I'm expecting my new BMW to arrive within a week or so and asked my dealer if we could do paperwork before it arrives. They refused...

Why would they do this? I'm going to be out of town the week it shows up and wanted to lock up my car deal and make absolutely sure it's unavailable to other buyers. They already have a significant deposit and bank approval.

Any thoughts?
Why would you want to do it? What happens if the car is damaged taking it off the truck. Do you want to take delivery of a damaged car and then file an insurance claim?

If you've paid a deposit, the car has your name on it. Unless you are dealing with a scummy dealer, the car will be waiting when you get back.

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts

Any thoughts?
Poop happens. The ships that deliver new BMWs to the USA can sink. Transporters can crash, damaging vehicles. So many possibilities. It would not be prudent to contract a vehicle until the dealer has it in their possession, otherwise the possibility for a major cluster-snafú is always present. The paperwork you are wanting includes DMV, which if something goes wrong can be almost impossible to unwind. Also, an odometer disclosure needs to be signed/certified. How can the dealer do this if you can't see the car?

When I was GSM of Cutter BMW I would draft an informal "Promissory Note" to quell a buyer's anxiety over such matters if necessary.
Seriously, why don't you ask your CA to do something like this?

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Poop happens. The ships that deliver new BMWs to the USA can sink. Transporters can crash, damaging vehicles. So many possibilities. It would not be prudent to contract a vehicle until the dealer has it in their possession, otherwise the possibility for a major cluster-snafú is always present.

When I was GSM of Cutter BMW I would draft an informal "Promissory Note" to quell a buyer's anxiety over such matters if necessary.
Why don't you ask your CA to do something like this?
I suppose i could, this is my first time dealing with these particular people and found it odd that a dealer would refuse to do paperwork. I can't really see the downside for them... Car is only a transporter ride away.

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts
I suppose i could, this is my first time dealing with these particular people and found it odd that a dealer would refuse to do paperwork. I can't really see the downside for them... Car is only a transporter ride away.
I tried to explain. What if the car catches fire before delivery? Would you still want to own it? I have literally watched this happen before
to a brand-new BMW. Not to scare you, but is this not easy to see that it is not a wise thing to do??

:dunno:

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
one of the forms you have to sign as part of your paperwork is a "Federal Odometer Disclosure Statement"... which requires you to sign verifying the odometer reading on the car at the time of purchase. How can you sign this document if you have not seen the car and no one has any clue how many miles are on the car? This is just one of the many problems you run into doing paperwork in advance. Jon brings up many others... what if the car falls off the truck? Or falls off the lift during the PDI? Or gets crashed on the lot? Or has a scratch and you refuse to take delivery? Or you just get cold feet and try to back out? Signing the paperwork without taking delivery of the car doesn't have ANY benefit to the dealer because if you haven't taken delivery of the car the paperwork is worthless-- so why would they take the risk of everything that could go wrong?

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts
one of the forms you have to sign as part of your paperwork is a "Federal Odometer Disclosure Statement"... which requires you to sign verifying the odometer reading on the car at the time of purchase. How can you sign this document if you have not seen the car and no one has any clue how many miles are on the car? This is just one of the many problems you run into doing paperwork in advance. Jon brings up many others... what if the car falls off the truck? Or falls off the lift during the PDI? Or gets crashed on the lot? Or has a scratch and you refuse to take delivery? Or you just get cold feet and try to back out? Signing the paperwork without taking delivery of the car doesn't have ANY benefit to the dealer because if you haven't taken delivery of the car the paperwork is worthless-- so why would they take the risk of everything that could go wrong?
And, you are screwed if you file DMV or pay sales tax to government in advance.

Good luck getting that back in the event you renig...

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
I tried to explain. What if the car catches fire before delivery? Would you still want to own it? I have literally watched this happen before
to a brand-new BMW. Not to scare you, but is this not easy to see that it is not a wise thing to do??

:dunno:
+1

I've seen odd ones before. Like that custom order that you've been waiting for 2 months to get just *disappearing* from the dealer pipeline report, and when checking with the VPC to see what happened, finding out "oops... it was majorly damaged during transit." Or one of my favorites... walking out to the BMT truck sitting out front unloading cars one morning, and as he pulls back the side curtains on the truck we both realize that that hydraulics controlling the upper level of the car carrier failed and the platform collapsed on top of the cars on the bottom level of the truck?

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I get this question all the time!

A car that hasn't been released from the VPC to a carrier hasn't been invoiced to the dealer. They can't sell or contract for a car they simply don't own either.

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts
I get this question all the time!

A car that hasn't been released from the VPC to a carrier hasn't been invoiced to the dealer. They can't sell or contract for a car they simply don't own either.
Great point Ty. It wouldn't be a legal contract...

· Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,153 Posts
Nothing more I can add............. well said guys.

· Call Ivan @ 973-780-9541
818 Posts
Bingo!

Obviously ED would be an exception but, the car needs to show it is in inventory for a normal delivery process in order for the transaction to get funded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.