BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it be ok to remove this seal and slap a new one there? Or will I have to flush all the coolant, bleed and so forth?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
On mine I would drain the expansion tank, replace the o-ring, pour the coolant back in, and do a bleeding procedure... or drain and refill if coolant was old.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's just the bleed screw. You can take them out no problem when the engine is cold.

Preferably replace it with a brass one.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Yes, get a new screw before replacing it. Do it quickly, and you'll lose little coolant.

Remove the rad cap to release any residual pressure before removing the screw.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I assume when you say "seal" you mean the o-ring. I also suggest you replace the bleed screw. If it has been over-tightened it could be broken and won't seal, even with a new o-ring. I would also buy the brass bleed screw.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I noticed the same thing Burning Second just posted. That looks like an aluminum housing with the metal screw that comes with it (I have that on my 97). Try to tighten it a little to see if it will stop. You can put more pressure on this metal screw vs the plastic on but don't go crazy.... it's still aluminum. If not, there is a gasket, not an O ring that seals this screw. If the gasket is bad, you may have to make one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts