BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sorry to bother you guys with this but the steering problem (see earlier posts) involving huge deadspot at center has not been resolved. They would rather I trade in the car at an unfair lease swap (fully loaded 330i for stripper 330i or 330ci) and cost me to lose 4,200 dollars in the process than replace a stupid part to satisfy an owner of not one, but two BMW's (other's my girlfriend's 2001 Z3)

Since I was at the dealer last night for late hour negotiations...it felt soo weak nickle and dimeing on a 40k car to make the payments work, $129 more a month than they are now) that I thought about ordering options....

On the www.330ci.com site, there is a breakdown of all option codes, even when they are part of a package. I took particular interest in the Lumbar Support (code 488) because I really like it and would have to go without both leather and premium package to make the deal work (girfriend set limits on payments since I spend way too much money on these things)...

If the dealer is willing, could I order Black/Black 330ci with SP/xenons/heated seats/sunroof......and add just Lumbar Support?

It is a fairly reasonable dealer and he might do it if I push the issue. Question is, can it be done?

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
BMWNA will read this and contact you with an email....but...it will say they are very sorry about problems/and concerns..they want to make you VERY happy. Contact your dealer... :lmao:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Enough is enough

Rchoudry,

Making a post on here will not result in BMWNA calling you and doing you any sort of favors. My best advice to you is to find a dealership with a competent service department that will test drive your car and compare its steering characteristics to another 330i w/ normal heavy steering.

Just like yours, my 330i (w/ the steering retrofit) has a 1" wide dead spot in the center of its steering. After test driving my car, my dealership agreed that something is wrong with the steering rack that was installed as part of the steering retrofit program. In response, they ordered a replacement retrofit rack for my car and they'll be installing it as soon as it comes in (late this week or early next week).

I know what you're going through because I've had the same problem with my 330i. But, getting upset over this or continuously talking to your dealer about leasing a new 2002 330 aren't good solutions. There's no reason for you to spend thousands of dollars out of pocket because BMW sent your dealership a faulty rack when they performed the steering retrofit.

Get aggressive and seek out the assistance of a master tech at a different BMW dealership than the one you've dealt with in the past. It's typical for a service tech to take a short 2 min. test drive with a car and say it feels fine. But, if you have them test drive your car with the dead spot in the center of the steering on a variety of roads and allow them to feel what you go through driving an otherwise powerful car with terrible steering characteristics, they'll realize that something is wrong with your car's steering rack. In addition to my car, I've driven 2 other 330s that had the retrofit done and know that the retrofit is supposed to make the steering feel considerably heavy. If a steering rack that is not faulty is installed correctly, you should have no dead spot at center and the steering should inspire a confident driving feel to the driver.

BMWNA is not your friend. They just want more of your $ if they can get it. Make a competent dealership aware of the problem by politely asking them to test drive your car and get them to replace the rack. Case closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts