Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So this thread has apparently been covered here much before, unfortunately it does not lend itself to the answers I am seeking.

Just scored a 69,000 mile E39 from a little old lady. I also have a 2003 E39 as well. I would like an Auxiliary input for the radio, please no comments about full integration, Dice, or the works. Is there a simple way to splice in a 3.5MM jack to patch the audio output from my phone to this radio? With all the trunk mounted CD changer gear and a plethora of chines cables available for $5. is there a way to get a simple straight answer about how to make this work the way I am asking it to? I don't skip songs, or have time to worry about playlists.

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is what I used in my 2003 525i. Not sure if it is different depending on whether you have DSP (I don’t).

BMW part# 82-11-0-149-390

Easy install. If I recall correctly, just plugs into rear of audio unit, which is quite easy to access...at least it was in my car.

Rest of the project is based on how particular you want to be about mounting the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had a 2003 it is quite easy from what I hear. I might just go pull both radios and look at them today. I have an 03 and a 97.

·
Registered
15,210 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You will need to find a CD53 from a E39 or X5 with a build date of 09/2002 or later that has auxiliary capabilities.

Your harness connector for the Business Cassette/Radio on your 1997 528i is a round pin connector, that won't work, so you have to buy the round pin to flat pin connector harness to make it connect to the CD53 CD/Radio.

I did this last fall, found the correct CD53 from a 2003 X5 for $20.00 and then bought the (4) connectors listed below to make it work.

You might need to upgrade your antenna since you have a 1997 model, I did not have to upgrade mine.
Here's a thread that shows the antenna locations.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838237

What a difference in sound quality it made and the install went in without a hitch, no static or interference.

Non DSP car I am assuming..?

Attachments

·
BMW ****ie
1,767 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
I went down this road with an 11/96 528i and was unable to make it work. Since swapping the radio to newer year wasn't going to work, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money, I found Quidzel on this forum. All you do is unplug the CD changer in the trunk, add a jumper they supply, and plug in another wire to the back of your head unit and fish the wire through the dash. I drilled a small hole just above the cigarette lighter and left of the stupid cup holders. However, could never get it to work right. The display pulsed. I'm not bashing Quidzel. They were very helpful, sent a replacement jumper, and offered a full refund. I came to the conclusion 11/96 was just too old because in one of their emails to me they suggested "Perhaps the early e39 uses different bus messaging...."
I'm only throwing this out in case you didn't know about them. https://quidzel.com/aux/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts