BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2011 335 X-drive sedan with the upgraded sound system and with Comfort Access.

There are two unrelated questions I have about its operation (those two options listed above may be meaningful) and while they're next to meaningless, I'd enjoy knowing the answers if anybody can help.

First, on both the FM radio and AM radio presets there is an "A" series of numbers, which the manual that comes with the radio suggests is for having the presets automatically set themselves when you enter a new area. I believe that the manual tells you to hit the AM/FM button repeatedly to get the "A" series to set, but it may simply be telling you that this is how you get to the "A" series in the first place. In any case, I can't seem to get them to automatically set themselves, even by hitting the "set" soft button. Any hints on how to get them to scan for the best signals as the book suggests will happen?

Second, and even less important, I noticed that sometimes when I turn off and leave the car while the seat heater is on, the seat heater remains in "on mode" when I start the car up again. Sometimes this doesn't seem to happen. I believe that also, when I leave the car with the radio on, it shuts itself off when I hit the door handle comfort access "lock" area on the outside handle -- but sometimes when I return and start the car the radio immediately goes back on without my touching it. Does anyone know why this sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't? Does it time out or something?

Thanks!

Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
I noticed that sometimes when I turn off and leave the car while the seat heater is on, the seat heater remains in "on mode" when I start the car up again. Sometimes this doesn't seem to happen. I believe that also, when I leave the car with the radio on, it shuts itself off when I hit the door handle comfort access "lock" area on the outside handle -- but sometimes when I return and start the car the radio immediately goes back on without my touching it. Does anyone know why this sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't? Does it time out or something?
The seat heaters do this even on cars without Comfort Access, as a convenience when you will be away from the car for only a few moments. The radio behavior sounds like something specific to CA, so I can't help you there--mine shuts off when I remove the key and always turns back on when I reinsert the key.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Zeichen for your comment.

Since no one had any suggestion as to how I could get my radio to autostore stations, I checked more carefully in the radio manual. I confirmed that while the manual mentions the feature, it doesn't tell you how to get it to work (!). So I called my dealer, who had the answer. I'll offer it here in case some of you who looked at this thread are similarly confused:

You press the AM/FM button until you get to the AMA (or FMA) screen on the radio's display. Once you are on, let's say, the AMA screen, you press and hold the same "AM" button that got you there for a few seconds. Moments later the radio informs you that it's autostoring, and maybe 30 seconds later it's complete -- you can then select from the six strongest stations that are now associated with the six AMA buttons -- or scroll through them from the steering wheel.

I'm still a little confused about the occasions when the accessories are still "on" when I restart the car, but I suppose I'll find my way. I did notice one thing about that though. Since I have comfort access I don't put the fob in the dashboard -- so when I turn the car off I just hit the start/stop button. If I do that while the radio is on it stays on (for how long I don't know) unless I lock the car from the outside. But I just noticed that if I hit the start/stop button twice when exiting, it stops the engine the first time and then turns off the radio with the second hit. I'm not sure if I missed that in the manual too, or if it's a missing point as well.

Combat Commuter
Thank you Zeichen for your comment.

Since no one had any suggestion as to how I could get my radio to autostore stations, I checked more carefully in the radio manual. I confirmed that while the manual mentions the feature, it doesn't tell you how to get it to work (!). So I called my dealer, who had the answer. I'll offer it here in case some of you who looked at this thread are similarly confused:

You press the AM/FM button until you get to the AMA (or FMA) screen on the radio's display. Once you are on, let's say, the AMA screen, you press and hold the same "AM" button that got you there for a few seconds. Moments later the radio informs you that it's autostoring, and maybe 30 seconds later it's complete -- you can then select from the six strongest stations that are now associated with the six AMA buttons -- or scroll through them from the steering wheel.

I'm still a little confused about the occasions when the accessories are still "on" when I restart the car, but I suppose I'll find my way. I did notice one thing about that though. Since I have comfort access I don't put the fob in the dashboard -- so when I turn the car off I just hit the start/stop button. If I do that while the radio is on it stays on (for how long I don't know) unless I lock the car from the outside. But I just noticed that if I hit the start/stop button twice when exiting, it stops the engine the first time and then turns off the radio with the second hit. I'm not sure if I missed that in the manual too, or if it's a missing point as well.
Or just press once and hold an extra second. Everything will shut down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts