BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why cant a car company make a lightweight good handling coupe/sedan?

Pretty simple... decent build quality, 3000 pounds at the max. base weight, decent power(torque&hp), room to carry people and some stuff, and a reasonble price say around $30k.

I know all the safety and options add weight but it can be done. Of course add options so it sells too. My A4, which is FWD, is about 3000 pounds, has good build quality and handles reasonably well. It just needs to be RWD:)

Before you say get a E30 or E36, I want am talking new cars. BMW with should be able to do this with some model. 350z is close but a bit chubby and not that much room. RX-8 sounds promising but the lack of torque is a put off for me. 911 seems to fit the bill but at $70k is too expensive. Evo VIII and WRX are cheap build quality. M3 and especially new S4 are heavy.

Comments? Would you buy my suggested setup?

Jeff

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nate328Ci said:
I am too picky I guess, WRX is too econo box interior. I assume EVO VIII will be the same. I want this for a daily driver so I would like a decent interior, VW, Audi, BMW, quality. Sounds conflicting since I want performance but I want both.

Jeff

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Jeff_DML said:

I am too picky I guess, WRX is too econo box interior. I assume EVO VIII will be the same. I want this for a daily driver so I would like a decent interior, VW, Audi, BMW, quality. Sounds conflicting since I want performance but I want both.

Jeff
Sorry, with those constraints you won't find a car that is 3000lbs or less new.

325i is closest. Though it doesn't have a fantastic power/weight ratio, it has lots of room, comfortable, etc

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nate328Ci said:

325i is closest. Though it doesn't have a fantastic power/weight ratio, it has lots of room, comfortable, etc
I know, that's why I want someone to build one:)

Isnt there rumors of BMW building a lightweigtht coupe to replace the M coupe?

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nate328Ci said:

I guess I just wish the E46 would lose a few hundred pounds...

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Since more electronics are involved and options are becoming standard in new models, I don't believe that future cars will be 'lightweight' (even they are trying with aluminium* body panels etc.)

If you take a look at the list of features like ABS, ASC, DSC,CBC, NAV (which, I believe, will be standard in the near future), I-Drive, additional airbags (roof, windshield), you know what I'm talking about (I'm not saying that all these features are useless, but they do add extra weight)

As if it is not enough, every new model is becoming larger, higher and longer , end effect heavier (I don't know, but is the average human body getting bigger/taller ? )

In addition to this, with increasing demand for active and passive security the body frames are getting thicker, hence extra weight.

If any car manufacturer would decide to build a 'lightweight' car, like nate said, it would be well over $30K (one word :marketing) and it would need a true enthusiast to pay that amount of money for *less* car.

So, if we sum up all these facts, we can assume that a lightweight coupe/sedan is just a beautiful dream.

* I must admit that I'm not a fan of aluminium at the moment. I wouldn't want to be the owner of a car with aluminium body which is involved in an accident, because it IS damn expensive to repair alu than the regular sheet metal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.