BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MiNiMaLiSt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally back on the project, this time with the Getrag 260/6.
The replacement parts were extensive and required a bit of planning before pulling the trans.
I sourced a single mass flywheel from a an earlier 635 that needed to be shaved. It was more difficult than I thought finding those single mass FWs. About $230 invested in purchase and machining which I consider fair... I suppose.
Everything else I got from Pelican Parts, which is local to me and include:
Front and rear seals, shifter seals, clutch plate, shorter flywheel bolts, TO bearing...

I had been ordering from them for years, even while living back in Chicago. They are overall helpful but ran into a bit of a hiccup when parts were shipped separately. No one is perfect, so always consider shopping around. BavAuto is my other go-to source for new parts but have found a local guy in Redondo Beach who has some e34's for parts.
All in all, it was a diy job but it's significantly more difficult without a lift and a shop.
There really wasn't anything wrong with the clutch, but I had to decided this was one thing I to prevent from failure.
The previous owner was from Henderson Nevada and did not keep up with the vehicle as it needed so I have been taking care of things in the order of most urgent priority, to the not so urgent priorities and eventually aesthetics.
Next up is brake fluid and coolant flushes... and anything else that needs immediate attention. :thumbup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've yet to drive my M60/420g 6spd with the Spec single mass. It's still getting put back together. But from previous builds and project cars it's been beneficial to reduce rotational mass off the crankshaft with the exception that if you plan to climb hills or grades at very low Rev or idle.

The advice I was given was to use a sprung hub clutch disc with a solid flywheel in an attempt to keep gear lash clatter and noise in the trans down to a minimum. I didn't. So instead I am using a synthetic gearoil/syn ATF blend that so far seems to be doing the trick (as far as I can tell while running the engine open exhaust manifolds with the car in the air on stands)

So far, the increased throttle sensitivity and snappy quick revs definitely give the impression the engine has added +200hp.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was very happy with my single mass fly wheel that I put in my 535i. The car lost 10lbs in weight and revved up a bit quicker. I got the 22 lb fly wheel from a e28 535i 85. I had no more clatter/noise after I changed it then I did before. I do miss the car.

Andy

·
Registered
254 Posts
530i

dose that clutch also fit in the E34 m60b30 motor with 5 speed trans. I do not want to put the dual mass flywheel back in my car after clutch job

·
MiNiMaLiSt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about the fitment on the flywheel for the M60b30 to other models but I would cross reference part numbers on realoem to see if the dual mass FW on yours is the same as the M30b35. If not, perhaps you might consider a SUPER lightweight Aluminum racing FW... if it's available. Sorry I'm not too familiar with your engine block.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

1 - 5 of 5 Posts