BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
There's not a standalone option for it on the X5... only premium sound that also has Sirius, is all I know right now. Good Question!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sound right. My daughter's '07 382I was pre-wired for it. I bought a receiver and installed it myself. Good to go. I also added a BMW alarm as it was pre-wired for that too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seems like it varies from model to model and dealer to dealer. To add Sirius to my "pre-wired" 2008 135i I was quoted a mere $1089 by my local center for the parts, labor, and coding to make it all work.

I politely declined that opportunity :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Crazy. Good work!!
Seems like it varies from model to model and dealer to dealer. To add Sirius to my "pre-wired" 2008 135i I was quoted a mere $1089 by my local center for the parts, labor, and coding to make it all work.

I politely declined that opportunity :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hey Chuck,

Did your daughter have to pay $500 to "turn it on" or is.that b.s. from the dealer?
OK..... I stand corrected; I pulled out the folder and found the paperwork. Wasn't two years ago, it was three. And, I had the dealer install it and the car had to be programed to read the new unit. The total cost for install and programming was $252. I remember calling around and the cost varied from dealer to dealer. I bought the unit off of eBay for $295 and it came with one year free service. So, for $547 she had Sirius.

I am guessing that the $500 to "turn it on" is the programming. Call around to other BMW service departments. Their prices vary. In Los Angeles we have 22 dealerships and they all have different service cost. Go figure.

I did install the alarm myself and the dealer activated it for free.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Hi all,

A dealer told me that the cars come pre-wired for Sirius, so if it's not listed as an option it can still be "turned on" and that cost is about $500. Does that sound right?

Thanks.
Modern BMWs with CIC systems have all the Sirius hardware...all you add is a code to turn it on. If you have a "Sirius Option" that means it is turned on...if you have nothing listed it is still "sirius ready'. Not sure what the cutover date was, but I think 2009/2010?

Code is VERY difficult to get, and it is derived from BMW mainframe which encodes the option WITH your VIN. You get A code for A car.

Now, there are non-US dealers who CAN get codes, and they are less than $500, Contact vendors that sell navigation upgrades....

A

·
Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,135 Posts
Hey guys just for the record it's like $395 for the activation code which has to be downloaded from parts dept. and around a hour of programming/activation i.e. labor... so for around $500 that is about right. If that price is an issue then you have to get a car w/it already installed in the car from factory for $350 MSRP....also please be aware that if you lease you get a $250 MSRP adder so it gets residualized and that basically gets you back to original price. If you pay cash or finance you do not get that perk.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I also don't believe my input applies. My daughter's car is a 2007 328I. It sounds like the new cars have a different Sirius receiver.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Hey guys just for the record it's like $395 for the activation code which has to be downloaded from parts dept. and around a hour of programming/activation i.e. labor... so for around $500 that is about right. If that price is an issue then you have to get a car w/it already installed in the car from factory for $350 MSRP....also please be aware that if you lease you get a $250 MSRP adder so it gets residualized and that basically gets you back to original price. If you pay cash or finance you do not get that perk.
"Programming"?

One of the reasons dealers get called 'stealers'...

You punch the FSC activation code in, and it turns on...no new software is required. An owner should be able to do it in their garage in 5 minutes.

And the $395 fee from the parts department is subject to negotiation.... I'd suggest people speak with non-BMW dealers (ie these guys that are selling navigation upgrades) to see if they can source the FSC code for less....

Dealerships will quote crazy money- whatever they think they can get away with....indeed, they will justify the price over and above MSRP with stories of 'retrofitting and labor'.

A

·
Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,135 Posts
ok... let's talk ....why all the negative energy to the dealership.. "stealers".. come on... not all dealers are like that? so tell me ... give me a detailed breakdown of what the fees are for parts labor and activation, tell me how can YOU the customer download the activation code for Sirius.........?. AND I ASK THIS.......... just for conversation..Why do you think it is wrong for ANY dealership to make any sort of profit. Do you work for free? do you never expect to make any profit... the whole point of this forum is to try and give people inside information so that they can make educated decisions on getting a good deal and dealers still can make some $. NOTE IN ADVANCE......Please note this text is not written w/ any attitude it is just a nice polite dialogue. Let's try and keep it that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
we are not a culture in which people routinely haggle over price. the only time most people negotiate a price is when making what are usually their biggest financial decisions: a home purchase, and a car purchase. and whatever price they pay for their home, usually no one can say they got the exact same home for less from a dealer down the street. plus, this website to the contrary, most of the time there is no transparency, and car dealers have a longstanding negative reputation to live down. [they're probably still rated above congress, but that's not saying much.]

then, too, ard does does describe himself as "resident: curmudgeon." but it does seem an unfortunate theme of several people who post here, this hostility towards car dealers. i guess it's people who think that others are always trying to put something over on them, and that they must be vigilant to the point of hostility. i would suggest that it's enough to be well-informed. the hostility is not required to feel that you're being treated fairly. if you feel you're not being treated fairly, you have the option of going elsewhere without making a fuss.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
ok... let's talk ....why all the negative energy to the dealership.. "stealers".. come on... not all dealers are like that? so tell me ... give me a detailed breakdown of what the fees are for parts labor and activation, tell me how can YOU the customer download the activation code for Sirius.........?. AND I ASK THIS.......... just for conversation..Why do you think it is wrong for ANY dealership to make any sort of profit. Do you work for free? do you never expect to make any profit... the whole point of this forum is to try and give people inside information so that they can make educated decisions on getting a good deal and dealers still can make some $. NOTE IN ADVANCE......Please note this text is not written w/ any attitude it is just a nice polite dialogue. Let's try and keep it that way.
Absolutely Gregg. Fair enough.

I was told that you get the FSC code from parts - they punch in your vin and download a 20 digit FSC code.

YOU WRITE THIS ON A PIECE OF PAPER. They can hand this to the owner or to the tech. Read:

It is a funny system in the shop how I "request" the codes... I as a tech make a parts request for the nav code, the parts department puts the request through to BMW through a special place in their website, then I later download the codes on a computer in the shop through the special BMW website, with the choice of using a USB drive to transfer the code to the vehicle or manually enter via I-drive... And all this to activate functions in the CIC, where the hardware and software are already in place, but locked out. Same process for SIRIUS as expected. (CIC= car information computer fwiw, as opposed to the older version CCC, car communications computer)

Service then drives the car into the shop, enters the activation code. Sirius is turned on.

The same process is used for upgrading navigation maps- you get the map data (either downloaded OR ON 3 DVDs) and the FSC code. You pop in the first DVD, the car asks for the FSC code, you punch it in, and the nav map upgrade proceeds. Most dealerships- sales people to service- actually do not understand that BMW sells the data on DVDs for $9. The FSC code is a few hundred. It varies.

I don't mind a dealer making 'a profit'...for $395 they are making, what, $100 or so? Punch in a vin and read me a code. Fair enough.

My angst is when people lie/mislead owners that a task is more complex than it really is- like "we need to code and program" the car after we load the code. (And this may be unintentional- you, greg, may actually not really know the truth- service& sales management may actually LIKE that you don't know what is involved) But people assume that is the truth. If you said "we punch the code in and make sure the sirius screen shows up, 10 minutes tops" people will have a different impression of the value of spending $150-200 for 10 minutes work. Especially if they are told 'you can do it yourself' or we can do it.

Kinda like virtually every single service BMW sells to owners- prices are bloated, and they always purport to doing more than they do. Something as simple as "inspecting brakes" , or the other inspections BMW does- most service is done by semi-skilled workers with only cursory inspections....Yeah, I have an attitude, but I've just seen way to much to have this polly anna view that people are getting what they paid for.

Rant off

A

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an 04 645, I do have the option for suirus but its not Highlighted. so does that mean the box is not installed or it is installed and just requires the code? if it doesnt have it, where would the box be for the satelite be located?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
The Sirius FSC has to be loaded by the dealer. It does not work like the Map FSC.

Absolutely Gregg. Fair enough.

I was told that you get the FSC code from parts - they punch in your vin and download a 20 digit FSC code.

YOU WRITE THIS ON A PIECE OF PAPER. They can hand this to the owner or to the tech. Read:

Service then drives the car into the shop, enters the activation code. Sirius is turned on.

The same process is used for upgrading navigation maps- you get the map data (either downloaded OR ON 3 DVDs) and the FSC code. You pop in the first DVD, the car asks for the FSC code, you punch it in, and the nav map upgrade proceeds. Most dealerships- sales people to service- actually do not understand that BMW sells the data on DVDs for $9. The FSC code is a few hundred. It varies.

I don't mind a dealer making 'a profit'...for $395 they are making, what, $100 or so? Punch in a vin and read me a code. Fair enough.

My angst is when people lie/mislead owners that a task is more complex than it really is- like "we need to code and program" the car after we load the code. (And this may be unintentional- you, greg, may actually not really know the truth- service& sales management may actually LIKE that you don't know what is involved) But people assume that is the truth. If you said "we punch the code in and make sure the sirius screen shows up, 10 minutes tops" people will have a different impression of the value of spending $150-200 for 10 minutes work. Especially if they are told 'you can do it yourself' or we can do it.

Kinda like virtually every single service BMW sells to owners- prices are bloated, and they always purport to doing more than they do. Something as simple as "inspecting brakes" , or the other inspections BMW does- most service is done by semi-skilled workers with only cursory inspections....Yeah, I have an attitude, but I've just seen way to much to have this polly anna view that people are getting what they paid for.

Rant off

A

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,307 Posts
Car sales people have a bad reputation and it's well deserved in my view. Lying and ignorance is prevalent and that hurts the good ones. I'm quite sure the excellent CAs that post here are well aware of the problem. Adrian and I never discuss price, I just say "what do you need ?" he tells me and I say OK. Frankly if he said double what he usually says I'd still say OK. ( I hope he doesn't read this ! ). So I think it is not so much about the money as being treated right. Many who buy high end automobiles are smart and successful and are used to excellent service by knowledgeable people and that's what they want when they buy a car. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have an 04 645, I do have the option for suirus but its not Highlighted. so does that mean the box is not installed or it is installed and just requires the code? if it doesnt have it, where would the box be for the satelite be located?
You are wired for it.... good. You will need to buy a BMW Sirius receiver for your car. Once installed BMW will have to program your car to read it. THIS is what I did on my daughter's '07 328I. Ask the BMW parts department for the part number then check eBay. They come up now and then and are usually priced right.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
The Sirius FSC has to be loaded by the dealer. It does not work like the Map FSC.
So BMW Technician "Weasel" over on Xoutpost was incorrect when he said he could load it via iDrive?

(I quoted him)

Also, can YOU comment on how long it takes to load the FSC code to activate sirius? (Actual time, not 'what is a reasonable profit') Thx

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
So BMW Technician "Weasel" over on Xoutpost was incorrect when he said he could load it via iDrive?

(I quoted him)
I do not know if this "technician" is incorrect or not. What I do know is that the Sirius FSC is not customer-loaded as stated in the OEM documents that I have, and by the way my Sirius FSC were actually loaded -I was watching the whole loading process. The Map FSC can be customer-loaded -I have done it myself.

Also, can YOU comment on how long it takes to load the FSC code to activate sirius? (Actual time, not 'what is a reasonable profit') Thx
No more than 15 minutes of labor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.