BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 certified preowned BMW, 328i with low milage. I love the car, and so far, so good.

When I took the car on a test drive, I noticed that there was satilite radio connected. When I left and took the car home, the system must have been de-activated. I called the BMW dealer, who indicated that in order to get a signal, it will cost me $895. I do not understand this cost since I am positive the radio was there when I took it for a test drive. I have tried everything, including a call to Sirius to activate the radio, but come up empty handed.

It seems as if $895 is a great deal of money in today's economy, and I question whether Sirius will stay in business or go under. Are there any other economical ways to get satilate radio?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been hearing SIRIUS was going under for over 5 years now. And yet it still plays on...

The car may have had a SIRIUS tuner when you test drove it but had it removed prior to your purchase. If your paperwork does not specifically mention SIRIUS being included, there isn't much you can do. Retrofitting the factory solution is a $700+ deal.

As far as a more economical approach, you can always use a plug and play radio feeding the auxiliary input.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My opinion, the dealer is screwing you. If the radio was there when you test drove the car then it should be there when you bought it. I had a Sirius put in my car when I bought it new, $895 sounds about right. One year subscription comes with that, again new. Take it to a shop and see if it has been physically removed. Again, if it has and the sales info. said the car had one and they removed it............not good!! KevinR has the right idea.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I bought a 2007 certified preowned BMW, 328i with low milage. I love the car, and so far, so good.

When I took the car on a test drive, I noticed that there was satilite radio connected. When I left and took the car home, the system must have been de-activated. I called the BMW dealer, who indicated that in order to get a signal, it will cost me $895. I do not understand this cost since I am positive the radio was there when I took it for a test drive. I have tried everything, including a call to Sirius to activate the radio, but come up empty handed.

It seems as if $895 is a great deal of money in today's economy, and I question whether Sirius will stay in business or go under. Are there any other economical ways to get satilate radio?
What happens when you try to put Sirius on? Does it come up with a test channel saying "Call Sirius"? If so, then there is satellite capability and you could probably call to reactivate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it does not come up with, 'call Sirus.' I am certain that the satellite was connected when I went on a test drive. Sirius tried to get it connected for me with the VIN number, but it did not work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like typical bad faith from a used car dealer. Very sad. Return the car and get your money back. Once you threaten them with that, they'll beg you to let them give you the Sirius access.

·
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap
339 Posts
What are the last 7 digits of the VIN? I will let you know if the car had Sirius from the factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a used Sirius module for my X5 on ebay and it came with an active subscription on it. I think someone paid a lifetime sub and the thing keeps ticking.

May want to check if the car is prewired for it or not, and if so its a simple self-mod.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought a used Sirius module for my X5 on ebay and it came with an active subscription on it. I think someone paid a lifetime sub and the thing keeps ticking.

May want to check if the car is prewired for it or not, and if so its a simple self-mod.
Most, if not all, E9Xs are pre-wired. But, the car has to be coded by the dealer to accept the Sirius tuner signal. I don't know what happens to the coding if the tuner box is removed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It seems as if $895 is a great deal of money in today's economy, and I question whether Sirius will stay in business or go under.
Now that Sirius merged with XM, and now that most of their debt has been converted to capital, they aren't going anywhere. You can trust satellite radio.

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
653 Posts
Mine is pre-wired, I'll let you know what my dealer says next time I visit.

$895 is beyond absurd when you can pick up a radio at any retailer for <$100. BMW must think people are stupid or have money to burn. Certainly not the latter in today's economy.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

$895 is beyond absurd when you can pick up a radio at any retailer for <$100. BMW must think people are stupid or have money to burn. Certainly not the latter in today's economy.
In today's economy it's smart not to prepay anything.

I don't even put the maximum number of quarters in a parking meter.

·
Registered
444 Posts

It all depends on if integrating the radio to your car is worth it. My local dealer would have done it for $750. Ofcourse, you can go with a radio <100, but it takes over your AUX input and a power outlet, then you have unnecessary wires, and an antenna that has to go somewhere. While the bmw one puts the little box in your trunk under the mat, hooks up to the fin, and integrates perfectly with your BMW radio. This could be also be a pain in the rear if you already use the power outlet for an iPod, or a GPS. If I owned my car as opposed to leasing it, and think i''ll have it another few years, I would have done it, it's one less gadget that takes up space.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
It all depends on if integrating the radio to your car is worth it. My local dealer would have done it for $750. Ofcourse, you can go with a radio <100, but it takes over your AUX input and a power outlet, then you have unnecessary wires, and an antenna that has to go somewhere. While the bmw one puts the little box in your trunk under the mat, hooks up to the fin, and integrates perfectly with your BMW radio. This could be also be a pain in the rear if you already use the power outlet for an iPod, or a GPS. If I owned my car as opposed to leasing it, and think i''ll have it another few years, I would have done it, it's one less gadget that takes up space.
I agree!

What is absurd is comparing integrated satelite radio to a portable hooked up to the aux input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sirius help!

I just bought my BMW 325i in january. It is "satellite ready." I was willing to pay $700 to have the "system" installed b/c even though it is "ready" - you still have to buy the system.

My local dealer and BMW are telling me that because of the SIRIUS/XM merger that they no longer offer a system - so I am literally SOL unless I want a portable unit with an antenna glued to the roof. (as opposed to the built in wiring/antenna as I prefer)

Is this right? Options? :mad:

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Man, that would tick me off!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I just bought my BMW 325i in january. It is "satellite ready." I was willing to pay $700 to have the "system" installed b/c even though it is "ready" - you still have to buy the system.

My local dealer and BMW are telling me that because of the SIRIUS/XM merger that they no longer offer a system - so I am literally SOL unless I want a portable unit with an antenna glued to the roof. (as opposed to the built in wiring/antenna as I prefer)

Is this right? Options? :mad:
I think you need to go to another dealer.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you check your contract? It should list everything that came with the car. Look at all your paperwork. We all know verbal promises are not contracts or binding. That said, I know you will really enjoy Sirius! Get it.

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
653 Posts
I agree!

What is absurd is comparing integrated satelite radio to a portable hooked up to the aux input.
You miss the point. Nobody is comparing an integrated system to a portable, they are just describing the options available to those who didn't prepurchase Sirius.

Anybody can do an AUX input - that is what I do with my ipod. The cost is about $4 for the input wire from Radio Shack. But it is less desireable for radio where you may want to flip stations rather than play from a playlist.

What is absurd is expecting people to pay $700 to install an "integrated" system that can be had for $100 at best buy (thus showing the very low cost basis for the electronic hardware). The profit margin for BMW is ridiculous and they probably would get 10x the business if they cut it by half. Also what would be intelligent would be for Sirius to give away the radio and service free for 3 months - get people hooked - then make $$$ off subscription fees. That is the model that has worked well for DirecTV. Instead Sirius/XM is close to insolvency.

I expect that BMW will still install a Sirius radio in my Sirius ready car. If not they'll be getting a letter - you can't sell an option and then not deliver. That's called fraud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts