BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Sirus radio receiver about 1 and 1/2 inches square with a magnetic base is scratching the paint.It has a really small wire that goes to another part of the sirus sym. in the trunk. What can be done to help keep the scratches off the trunk lid?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I assume it is magnetic? If so maybe talk to a clear bra place about getting a square of material to stick on the car under the mounting point?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume it is magnetic? If so maybe talk to a clear bra place about getting a square of material to stick on the car under the mounting point?
By being magnetic to metal ,does that mean it's going to ground? If so the clear bra material might not work. Right? THANKS

·
Registered
65 Posts
The part you are referencing is just the radio antenna. No grounding is needed. The antenna only needs a clear view of the sky. On my Buick, I mounted it on the dash with velcro and it works great.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part you are referencing is just the radio antenna. No grounding is needed. The antenna only needs a clear view of the sky. On my Buick, I mounted it on the dash with velcro and it works great.
THANKS. I thought the clear bubble looking device hanging under the mirror was the antenna. I have Sirus on my Cadillac and Camaro but they have the mini shark fin on the roof. :)Thanks again

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's an aftermarket, added on, Sirius antenna. Yep they scratch the finish. Yep you can put something between it and the paint to keep it from scratching. Nope there is not a need for any electrical connectivity other than what is in the wire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's an aftermarket, added on, Sirius antenna. Yep they scratch the finish. Yep you can put something between it and the paint to keep it from scratching. Nope there is not a need for any electrical connectivity other than what is in the wire.
THANKS, I thought it was a BMW accessory. It may not even work, I haven't called to start the service yet. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
THANKS. I thought the clear bubble looking device hanging under the mirror was the antenna. I have Sirus on my Cadillac and Camaro but they have the mini shark fin on the roof. :)Thanks again
The clown nose under the mirror is the indicator light if you have the factory alarm system. It blinks red when the alarm is armed. It's very dim and a very quick flash so you can only see it well in the dark.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FYI..... I have one Sirus account with a small portable receiver that I switch between my Buick and motorcycle (Goldwing). Each vehicle has it's own docking station. Next week I plan to get a docking station for the BMW. Even though each vehicle has a Sirus capable radio, I get by with only one account and expense by using a separate docking system in each vehicle. Works good for me

·
Registered
230 Posts
I did the docking station thing for a while but now I stream Sirius through the phone. When I had the docking station it was mounted on a pedestal in the 'ashtray' with all of the wiring running down under the console. It looked clean for what it was. Antenna was in the car on the corner of the dash, worked fine.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I use a Scosche magnet system with a magnet on the dash and the metal strip on the back of the Sirius car mount. It's low profile and clean.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1476629518.729836.jpg

I don't do a lot of channel changes so it's location is ideal for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Clearancediver....I like your installation and will likely copy it. I see the antenna in the corner of your dash. That is where I have it in my Buick and where I will put it in the z4

·
Registered
749 Posts
The antenna is more towards the Centre than the corner than it looks...... I also used the small Sosche plate stuck to the dash for the antenna magnet to stick on... perfect fit.

I use the aux in on my Audiovox Mediabridge ... which gives me hands free phone ..and the Sirius radio muting for the call...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I tried the antennae on the dash, had mixed results so I decided to route mine to the front passenger quarter panel. I stuck a small square of clear vinyl wrap underneath the antennae magnet to avoid the scratch issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts