BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a couple of 8" JL Audio subs sitting around in my garage and figured I would put them to use. I already installed some MB Quart tweeters, mids, and bass drivers upfront. I had a pair of MB quart tweeters that were the same size as the mid range in the door, so I decided to put it to use.

So, my stereo system really puts out the mids and highs, but the bass needs some more punch. I am in the process of removing the ski pass frame, bag and metal panel that swivels in order to have the speaker box butt up against the rear seats. I wanted to see how a box in this configuration would sound and also look a little different as it conforms to the angle of the back seats. From just test fitting the box, it really does not take up that much room in the trunk. I also went with some banana plugs and quick disconnects in order to remove it quickly for cargo or folding down the seats.

I would like to add that this is just a mock-up at the moment. All of the joints are sealed on the inside of the box to minimize sound leakage. So, the aesthetics will be cleaned up in the final iteration, as well as have all of the joints correctly mitred. This mock-up gives me a good idea of what the final tolerances will need to be in the final version as well. Currently, when the box is in the correct position, there is a nice friction fit as it slips underneath the lip of the back seat frame opening at the top.

Anyway, I though I would share the photos as I am still in the process of testing.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mmm635/SubwooferBox

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
wow thats a good idea..i like the box

it'll look stealth!

what kind of music do you listen too?

would two 8's produce the frequencies you need for the music u listen to?

what kind amp are you going to use to drive those...

and lastly would you consider building a box and selling it to me :) i'd pay you for your time/materials/shipping

:)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thats a good idea..i like the box

it'll look stealth!

what kind of music do you listen too?

would two 8's produce the frequencies you need for the music u listen to?

what kind amp are you going to use to drive those...

and lastly would you consider building a box and selling it to me :) i'd pay you for your time/materials/shipping

:)
I mainly listen to Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rush - pretty much classic rock. The mids and highs are very important to me, but some more bass will make it so much better. I think the 8 inchers will do just fine for my music since it will need a quicker reflex/tighter base compared to a larger diameter sub. By no means am I an audiophile/expert - just trying to test things out with a little edumacation.

I will be using an Alpine v12 with 120w cont. power to each each sub. That should be plenty for the 8 inch subs and probably enough for the system without sounding too hard core.

Actually, if this works out then I would definitely consider building a box as a dry run.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
looks awesome where are you tapping the power and signal from??

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
looks awesome where are you tapping the power and signal from??
Thanks...I will have to do a search in the archives because I recall some write-ups on which wires to tap - really just the signal and the accessory switch. I will run the power/ground from the power distribution bock located just over the battery and attached to the rear of the passenger wheel well.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Looks like a great job, when your done you can wrap in in grey carpet to match the trunk..very stealth.:thumbup:

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
I mainly listen to Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rush - pretty much classic rock. The mids and highs are very important to me, but some more bass will make it so much better. I think the 8 inchers will do just fine for my music since it will need a quicker reflex/tighter base compared to a larger diameter sub. By no means am I an audiophile/expert - just trying to test things out with a little edumacation.

I will be using an Alpine v12 with 120w cont. power to each each sub. That should be plenty for the 8 inch subs and probably enough for the system without sounding too hard core.

Actually, if this works out then I would definitely consider building a box as a dry run.
i listen to alot of different music but when i listen to my old skool hip hop i want to be able to feel the bass i am not sure if 2 8's will accomplish that :(

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Hmm, that box looks a little tall to me. However it's an aggressive project. I can't wait to see more! Subscribed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i listen to alot of different music but when i listen to my old skool hip hop i want to be able to feel the bass i am not sure if 2 8's will accomplish that :(
You might want to consider some 10's or 12's. However, the arrangement will not fit as well in that particular spot due to the size. The 10's will fit nicely into a standard 1x12 board and will be easy to cut/mitre. However, it might not be able to fit in the angled/vertical plane due to the extra space needed. You can see that the 8 inch subs pretty much clear the face of the box. Of course, if you just want the subs behind the seat and don't need to lay the seats down, then the subs can be oriented horizontally instead of on top of one another still using the same profile to save space. Once you exceed the 10" subs, a table saw will be necessary to rip the wood and also mitre the edges properly for a clean fit.

Hmm, that box looks a little tall to me. However it's an aggressive project. I can't wait to see more! Subscribed.
I thought so too. However, she fits like a glove once in the car. I will put the box in tonight and take some pics so you guys can see how it will look when installed - the damn ski pass is a pain in the ass to remove.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
hey xx 8's hit harder than any 10 or 12, they wont be as deep but they sound great, I wouldnt hesitate to do 2 8's. 12's you will hear far away, the 8's are a cleaner tighter bass. Ive had 10's and 12's and also 15's, Ive heard 8's in friends car and its a very tight bass.:thumbup:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Did you really build that out of pine? I have a feeling you may blow it up. MDF is the best choice for sub boxes since it is very strong, dense, and won't flex like soft pine.

When I had my 5'er, I tried firing a single 10 thru the ski-pass, did the same in my 3'er, and after building the boxes I wasn't getting the bass I wanted. I modified them to fire the sub backwards towards the trunk opening. The extra air space in front of the driver produced much better bass response for me.

Good idea and execution, looking forward to seeing how you like it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Michel,

I could not figure out how to remove the hinge of the ski pass door. When you do, please share how. TAI!
I know exactly what you mean. Last time I was messing with it I came to the realization I would have to dismantle it somehow. maybe tapping the rod that holds the hinge together. I will have to study it a little more and figure out the best way to do it without destroying the assembly for future re-installation.

hey xx 8's hit harder than any 10 or 12, they wont be as deep but they sound great, I wouldnt hesitate to do 2 8's. 12's you will hear far away, the 8's are a cleaner tighter bass. Ive had 10's and 12's and also 15's, Ive heard 8's in friends car and its a very tight bass.:thumbup:
Thanks...good info! Nice to hear real world experience with the different sizes. The tighter bass will definitely polish up the system.

Did you really build that out of pine? I have a feeling you may blow it up. MDF is the best choice for sub boxes since it is very strong, dense, and won't flex like soft pine.

When I had my 5'er, I tried firing a single 10 thru the ski-pass, did the same in my 3'er, and after building the boxes I wasn't getting the bass I wanted. I modified them to fire the sub backwards towards the trunk opening. The extra air space in front of the driver produced much better bass response for me.

Good idea and execution, looking forward to seeing how you like it.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I just had a piece of pine laying around in the garage and figured I would test it out for the mockup. I was really looking to figure out the best fit for the assembly. Once I have all of the dimensions and design down, then I will upgrade the wood and use fabric on it to make it look professional and is built for the car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Last time I was messing with it I came to the realization I would have to dismantle it somehow. maybe tapping the rod that holds the hinge together. I will have to study it a little more and figure out the best way to do it without destroying the assembly for future re-installation.
I already tried tapping the rod to slide throught the hinges w/o success. Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already tried tapping the rod to slide throught the hinges w/o success. Good luck & keep us posted.
I will have to stare at it for a long time until I can figure out the best way to remove it. Someway/somehow that thing is going to be removed without destroying the car. Those are my famous last words - I will try and avoid having to use the "persuader"! I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Michel.........like "Jvr" said, MDF would be the best material to be used for your final product, actually right now it's probably the same price or maybe a bit cheaper.

Pani.....like "1Bad" said, 2-8"s in that application would be perfect for all kinds of music, even the kind for the bass you would "want to feel". If you went for the 10"'s or 12"s then your whole neighborhood would feel the bass and your outside sound of your car would sound like a rattling soda can.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Comment/Update

Michel.........like "Jvr" said, MDF would be the best material to be used for your final product, actually right now it's probably the same price or maybe a bit cheaper.

Pani.....like "1Bad" said, 2-8"s in that application would be perfect for all kinds of music, even the kind for the bass you would "want to feel". If you went for the 10"'s or 12"s then your whole neighborhood would feel the bass and your outside sound of your car would sound like a rattling soda can.
Gotcha...I will go take a look at some boards to price things out.

Meanwhile, I stuck the box into the car and took some pics to show you guys how it looks in its infancy. I took some shots from a distance and up close to give you an idea of how much room it takes up. Note...my briefcase is huge so don't let that fool you.

Link to pics...http://picasaweb.google.com/mmm635/InCarPhotos

1 - 20 of 32 Posts