BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are from Virginia Near Washington DC.

My 12 yo son and I are gonna go do ED on April 12th.

Originally, we are going to take our new Bimmer and tour up northern Europe a bit, but I just had an idea.
Are there any great ski resorts that you can recommend for us?
Obviously, we'd love to take the opportunity to ski Alps.
both my son and I are intermediate level. I ski and he snowboards.

We have a plan to drive northwest to London afterwards so we preferably want to stay in the convenient side of Europe for Munich -> ski -> towards London.

We don't mind a bunch of driving at all. as a matter of fact, we my even welcome some serious scenic driving to go skiing.

our original northern euro route was planned for about 1200 miles of driving so obviously we don't mind a bit of behind-the-wheel time.

we probably will like to do about two nights & two days worth of leisurely skiing.

we don't come to Europe much normally. so we'd love to make this memorable.

help us out. suggestions?

·
Registered
753 Posts
It may be hard to get reservations at any ski resorts that are still open in April as German schools are out for Easter vacation at that time. If you get a good recommendation book it now. Innsbruck Austria is not far from Munich with lots of ski runs.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Ski the top of the Zugspitze, stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, take the train up to the ski area from the train station in Garmisch. We were there over Christmas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doh! Zugspitze / Gatmish looks incredible.
I just got a call from BMW that they can't accommodate 4/12 ED. The date they are now offering is 5/22.
I see Zugspitze is tracking for early May closing. Any other possibilities there?
I'm completely new to Europe, but now I have this in my head, I must have this !!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are from the USA, why don't you go to the ski resorts of the USA? They are not worse and you will pay less money. I am from Canada, but I have many friends and relatives in the United States, and in general I like the culture of the United States more than Canada. A couple of years ago, the guys and I chose a ski resort on Bluehouse Skis - The Best Tips & Guides on Snowboard, Ski & Snow and we went there, we had a wonderful time, ate delicious sausages, drank mulled wine and went snowboarding and skiing. And after that, I was at a ski resort in Europe. Well, that was different. Not to say that it was bad, but it was just different and I didn't really like it, although the resort was quite decent. I hope you have a great time together.

·
Glfbggy
1,043 Posts
If you are from the USA, why don't you go to ski resorts in the USA? They are no worse and you will pay less money
This is a forum dedicated to Euro Delivery. Meaning, the posters were planning on being in Europe to pick up their vehicles. Trip paid for, for different reasons. If already there, why not ski opportunistically if the season is still going?

Frankly, the conditions can be very different depending upon where you live. In my experience the Europeans do not necessarily like fresh snow like we do here in North America. Even more so if you live in the West (BC, the Pacific North West, Colorado Utah, California). In Europe, they tend to groom the crap out of everything, which we do not in the West. Besides the lunch and after ski experience can also be much different in Europe....yum.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,407 Posts
If you are from the USA, why don't you go to ski resorts in the USA? They are no worse and you will pay less money
I'Il leave this alone except to point out that you dredged up a thread from four years ago. Please check dates before posting.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This is a forum dedicated to Euro Delivery. Meaning, the posters were planning on being in Europe to pick up their vehicles. Trip paid for, for different reasons. If already there, why not ski opportunistically if the season is still going?

Frankly, the conditions can be very different depending upon where you live. In my experience the Europeans do not necessarily like fresh snow like we do here in North America. Even more so if you live in the West (BC, the Pacific North West, Colorado Utah, California). In Europe, they tend to groom the crap out of everything, which we do not in the West. Besides the lunch and after ski experience can also be much different in Europe....yum.
I was about to feed the troll but your answer put it more succinctly than I would have done. Nice courteous reply.

Reactions: ghpup

·
Glfbggy
1,043 Posts
I was about to feed the troll but your answer put it more succinctly than I would have done. Nice courteous reply.
While I have not done the ED, I have travelled to Europe for business a number of times. More than once, I've gone skiing because of the convenience and wanting to experience some of the well known slopes... Once for a weekend Corporate Competition which was a blast to compete for my company's Italian team. We won the competition that year. That was also the first time I exceeded 120mph for a prolonged period while on the A6 in Northern Italy in a ...gasp...Ford Mondeo

Unfortunately, one of the times, I blew my ACL and had a heck of a time on my return trip home. My wife did not like my call to her during her Sunday evening asking her to make a doctors appointment for me in the morning. o_O

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
682 Posts
Putting aside the recent comments, if anybody is still interested in skiing I would note that Austrian resorts are about a 2-3 hour drive from Munich. In fact on our first and only ED (2006) we drove from Munich to Kitzbuhel which is a personal fav and host to a major competition. Did not have winter tires and fortunately the roads were clear though there was plenty of snow on the slopes.

Euro ski experience is very different from the typical USA/Canada resorts. One can enjoy what each has to offer. Unfortunately the Euro resorts were a major contributor to the spread and subsequent overload of the Italian health care system in early-2020, so they may take longer to recover than the US.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I was in Australia for a business trip. Over a long weekend we drove down to the Snowies and skied Thredbo and Perisher.

Sucked, but it was a blast.

Lots of people go to Oz. How many ski?

;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.