·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, looking for a little help here:
My car info:
2006 325i
125K km's

I recently upgraded my stock 16" rims (not staggared fitment) to 18" Klasse with Michelin ZP (zero pressure (run flat))Tyres. First I noticed a slight wobble (more of a wobble than shake or vibrate) between 60-70km/hr so I had them re-balance the tyres. That changed nothing. I had them swap the rears to the front and vice versa. Now the same wobble is happeneing between 70-80km/hr. I took my car to a different shop and had them re-balanced again and also installed Hub Centric Rings. The wobbel is still there. So I've had the new rims/tyres balanced 3 times now by 2 different shops so I am sure that is not the problem. Also they are brand new so no dents etc. Hub centric rings have been installed so, I am running out of ideas. It is worth noting that the wobble is very slight and only really happens when coasting at 70-80km/hr and Only seems to happen if I apply slight pressure to one side of the steering wheele. If it is kept perfectly straight is seems ok or at least not noticeable. I only really notice it if I am applying a slight amount of pressure to one side as in going through a very slight bend in the road. Has anyone else ever experienced this and/or found a fix after installing aftermarket rims/tyres.
Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Azza.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Have they checked control arm bushings, thrust bushings and wheel bearings for wear?

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Hello Everyone, looking for a little help here:
My car info:
2006 325i
125K km's

I recently upgraded my stock 16" rims (not staggared fitment) to 18" Klasse with Michelin ZP (zero pressure (run flat))Tyres. First I noticed a slight wobble (more of a wobble than shake or vibrate) between 60-70km/hr so I had them re-balance the tyres. That changed nothing. I had them swap the rears to the front and vice versa. Now the same wobble is happeneing between 70-80km/hr. I took my car to a different shop and had them re-balanced again and also installed Hub Centric Rings. The wobbel is still there. So I've had the new rims/tyres balanced 3 times now by 2 different shops so I am sure that is not the problem. Also they are brand new so no dents etc. Hub centric rings have been installed so, I am running out of ideas. It is worth noting that the wobble is very slight and only really happens when coasting at 70-80km/hr and Only seems to happen if I apply slight pressure to one side of the steering wheele. If it is kept perfectly straight is seems ok or at least not noticeable. I only really notice it if I am applying a slight amount of pressure to one side as in going through a very slight bend in the road. Has anyone else ever experienced this and/or found a fix after installing aftermarket rims/tyres.
Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Azza.
Vile manufacturers of 'aftermarket' rims could have any quality, and one often must sue in China to obtain compensation of any sort.

Good luck....

Some of these 'aftermarket' characters have posted long pictorial threads here. Not recently, thank the stars!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they havn't checked any bushings/bearings. I had Kal-Tire do the install and balancing and am not sure if they do that kind of work but they are pretty good at tyre issues. Plus there was never an issue with my stock rims/tyres, it jsut started happening with the new ones. And it's weird that the wobble changed from 60-70km/hr range to 70-80 range after swapping the backs to the front and vice versa, so pretty confident its soething to do with the new rims/tyres. You never know tho, thanks for the input. I will be having my breaks done in the spring so I will def. get the bushings/bearings inspected at that time.
Cheers.

·
Fastpaddler
950 Posts
"If you apply slight pressure to one side of the steering wheel". I had a 2006 325i. Excellent and troublefree for 4 1/2 years. Better than my current 5. Might be steering rack play. Have front end checked ie whole steering geometry. Kal Tire do my wheels/tires here and are excellent. I bought 18 inch Coreracing M3 wheels for my Falken Eurowinter 439 tires. No slight shimmy. Something seems to be transmitting the slight shimmy to your steering wheel, is my gestimate.

Best wishes from Vancouver Island
AL

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bigger rims mean less side wall and that introduces problems, in my experience. We went through the same shimmy at 60 problem when upgrading Miata rims to a larger diameter and going with Toyo T1S tires. We tried load force balancing (Hunter machine) to put the worst pair on the back. We tried on the car balancing with a pro shop who gently adjusted cone weights while an electric motor spins the wheel. We tried Dynabeads inside the tire but the profile was too wide for them to be effective.

After a lot of aggravation and cost we went back to the original wheel size and fatter tires and the problem went away.

If you did only one more balancing I would try Load Force as it will show if a tire casing is the problem.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just got my winter tires put on. I usually take it to the dealer (and overpay) because they are the only shop that seems to get the balance right, every time. With all the snow lately, I was pinched for time and couldn't make it all the way out to the dealer, so I just had the tires mounted at the local Firestone. As expected, there's a very slight wobble, but as the tires will only be on the car for a few months, I can deal with it. Then, when it's time to switch back to summer tires, I'll head back to the dealer for a proper mount and balance.

Have your rims tested to make sure they are perfectly round, then try the Road Force balance. You should be all set. If that fails, then start looking at alignment, control arms, etc.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
You are definitely due for bushings

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
No they havn't checked any bushings/bearings. I had Kal-Tire do the install and balancing and am not sure if they do that kind of work but they are pretty good at tyre issues. Plus there was never an issue with my stock rims/tyres, it jsut started happening with the new ones. And it's weird that the wobble changed from 60-70km/hr range to 70-80 range after swapping the backs to the front and vice versa, so pretty confident its soething to do with the new rims/tyres. You never know tho, thanks for the input. I will be having my breaks done in the spring so I will def. get the bushings/bearings inspected at that time.
Cheers.
If you have the 'deep dish' Klasse wheels and Kal Tire is hesitating to install weights on the outside of the rim for cosmetic reasons (even though the balancer may be calling for it), you may still be experiencing dynamic unbalance.

The Hunter GSP 9700 will show where the balance weights SHOULD go, but of course, nobody with deep dish wheels wants them (weights) showing on the outside lip. This is a typical problem with deep dish wheels.

Perhaps you don't have deep dish wheels and I'm wrong...perhaps Kal Tire isn't using the GSP 9700 that can accurately diagnose your wheel and tire problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.