BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bill
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when the DTC is not activated, does this mean the DSC is always on? When I press the DTC button, I get a message "DTC activated, DSC limited". When I hold the DTC button down for a couple seconds longer the message reads " DTC activated DSC inactive"
or something like that. I read the manual, but it wasn't clear to me if the DSC is automatic when you start the car and always on. :dunno:

The two functions sound similar so which is best for what?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
So, when the DTC is not activated, does this mean the DSC is always on? When I press the DTC button, I get a message "DTC activated, DSC limited". When I hold the DTC button down for a couple seconds longer the message reads " DTC activated DSC inactive"
or something like that. I read the manual, but it wasn't clear to me if the DSC is automatic when you start the car and always on. :dunno:

The two functions sound similar so which is best for what?
DSC is always on on start up (all nannies and minders ON).
DTC used in the snow for allowing a little wheel slippage for taking off in snow and ice..
Hold the button long enough, everything is turned off.
That's the short version.

dj

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
DTC is a "subset" of DSC. DSC incorporates DTC in addition to stability enhancements and is on by default. When you press the DTC button the "DTC" light on the dash is on to tell you that ONLY DTC is now active (you've shut off the stability component of DSC but not the traction control portion of it). Pressing and holding the button again shuts off DTC as well and now there is no traction or stability assist programs running.

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
The others have done a good job, but here it is again

With DSC on, the car modulates the throttle to kill 99.9% of any wheel spin. This is the standard mode.

With DTC on (push button briefly), the car will allow most forward wheel spin, but if it detects side to side movement, it will cut power.

With DSC completely off (hold button for 4 seconds) it will allow any wheel spin.

Most of the time you should just be in the normal DSC mode. For winter/slick driving sometimes turning on DTC is helpful so you can get moving. DTC is a subset of DSC.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
DTC is a "subset" of DSC. DSC incorporates DTC in addition to stability enhancements and is on by default. When you press the DTC button the "DTC" light on the dash is on to tell you that ONLY DTC is now active (you've shut off the stability component of DSC but not the traction control portion of it). Pressing and holding the button again shuts off DTC as well and now there is no traction or stability assist programs running.
The DTC name is misleading. It still leaves stability control active but it's a higher intervention threshold than full-on DSC.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
The saying around here is, "Friends don't let friends drive with DTC and DSC off." The odds of ending up with a smashed up car and/or a smashed up you increase exponentially.

·
Registered
428 Posts
is this true in my e66 750 Li as well? the DTC is controlled by using the idrive controller however I did not find anywhere in the car to completely shut the traction control off??

·
Bill
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good explanations all, and thank you! Pretty much cleared that up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
The others have done a good job, but here it is again

With DSC on, the car modulates the throttle to kill 99.9% of any wheel spin. This is the standard mode.

With DTC on (push button briefly), the car will allow most forward wheel spin, but if it detects side to side movement, it will cut power.

With DSC completely off (hold button for 4 seconds) it will allow any wheel spin.

Most of the time you should just be in the normal DSC mode. For winter/slick driving sometimes turning on DTC is helpful so you can get moving. DTC is a subset of DSC.
"Standard mode" (as above) is what the car defaults to at start up. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to change the default mode to the second option noted above which is:

"With DTC on (push button briefly), the car will allow most forward wheel spin, but if it detects side to side movement, it will cut power."

I just want it in this second mode when I start up the car (and not have to hit the DTC button every time I start the engine). I like to be able to control my forward wheel spin and not get that jerky "gas/brake/gas/brake" sensation. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
"Standard mode" (as above) is what the car defaults to at start up. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to change the default mode to the second option noted above which is:

"With DTC on (push button briefly), the car will allow most forward wheel spin, but if it detects side to side movement, it will cut power."

I just want it in this second mode when I start up the car (and not have to hit the DTC button every time I start the engine). I like to be able to control my forward wheel spin and not get that jerky "gas/brake/gas/brake" sensation. Thanks.
NO. What's so hard about hitting the DTC button after the Start button. :dunno:

dj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts