Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one used a slime kit? My neighbor is a mechanic and he has had experience with the slime. He says once that stuff is in the tire, balancing is next to impossible. I used it once and had to replace the tire as the tire wouldn't balance. Admittedly that was quite a few years ago. Is today's slime any better? If I have to replace the tire anyway I figure I may as well stay with the ROF's.

Just curious as to other's experience.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I used Slime few years ago on my wife X6, never have any problem with balancing at all.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Has any one used a slime kit? My neighbor is a mechanic and he has had experience with the slime. He says once that stuff is in the tire, balancing is next to impossible. I used it once and had to replace the tire as the tire wouldn't balance. Admittedly that was quite a few years ago. Is today's slime any better? If I have to replace the tire anyway I figure I may as well stay with the ROF's.

Just curious as to other's experience.
I haven't used it...but when I swapped out the run flats I purchased the BMW mobility kit (I was swayed by the hype that the stuff used by BMW is slightly different than the stuff "slime" is made of).

In regards to tire balance issues...I'm always curious as to if the owner followed the instructions correctly...which after filling the tire with the "slime"...it requires driving the car for a few minutes to evenly distribute it around the innards of the tire. I have a sneaking feeling that the majority of users that have a balance issue afterwards...probably did NOT follow the instructions accordingly. :eek: But most people probably don't report back their failure to follow the instructions.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,452 Posts
***8216;Slime***8217; should not harden or lump but should become fairly evenly distributed around the circumference of the tire.

Recently I searched on the Slime.com site for ***8220;balance***8221; and got no hits. I thought I recalled the capability of pre-emptive sliming a tire without deleterious effects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts