Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update

so far not progress with dealership.

(1) I sent email to "client adviser" (aka salesman who worked with me) but never got reply.

(2) I called salesman but most of time I was directed to voice box and can't reach him. (2)

(3) I got one call back the salesman was very polite and promised they would do everything to make me happy and had forwarded my request to general manager, but later on no updates no calls from them.

(4) I called dealership and want to talk to GM directly, they said I only need to talk to my salesman.

Then it loops back to (1) and (2).

I now try to reach BMW NA costumer service to see what I can get from them.

(1) You bought a new car, unadulterated. You have a warranty. BMW is responsible for fixing it, to factory spec. And no, the front facia does not cost $2K. W/paint, it is more like $1K. High end manufacturers now deliberately put plastic facias around the car, just so they can replace and paint inexpensively.
Demand that the bumper be made factory spec new, or replaced.

(2) Don't shoot yourself in the foot before hand. You have rights. Just start up the chain of command, all the way to BMW USA, until you get pushed off or get satisfaction. Small claims court is an option. Remember to serve the summons to the owner of the dealership or corporate executive listed on the state corporation papers and no one else. Employees are not responsible.

(3) Also unexceptable. But that is why I personally inspect the facility before handing over the keys. And, I get multiple referrals & read Yelp.

Lastly, plastic bumpers can be patched (rewelded) to fill in the holes. And the color can be matched perfectly, by a competent body shop.
In my draconian dictatorship of CA, dealers are required by law, to install a front plate, before delivering a car. However, almost everyone, will look the other way, if the customer asks them ahead of time, not to install the front plate (me for one). (Yes, I have paid for a couple fixit tickets. I consider it my drive on CA roads tax.)

·
Glaird
729 Posts
so far not progress with dealership.

(1) I sent email to "client adviser" (aka salesman who worked with me) but never got reply.

(2) I called salesman but most of time I was directed to voice box and can't reach him. (2)

(3) I got one call back the salesman was very polite and promised they would do everything to make me happy and had forwarded my request to general manager, but later on no updates no calls from them.

(4) I called dealership and want to talk to GM directly, they said I only need to talk to my salesman.

Then it loops back to (1) and (2).

I now try to reach BMW NA costumer service to see what I can get from them.
I'm glad you are being pro-active (as if that was a real word). I might try visiting the dealership, talking to the GM's admin, and making a real appointment. Then hopefully, keep it. There is nothing like a face to face, where the only outcome can be "I will get this fixed now" or "You caught me, I'm a cheat.". My bet is on the 1st response.
You might wait a few days before going to BMW NA. But no more. I have found hitting them from several sides at once, puts them off balance and invokes an internal sense of "What do I need to do, to get this guy out of my hair!"; which is, solve his problem.
After that, my next move if BMW NA doesn't get satisfaction in less than a week from contact, to start small claims.
a) Get to the secretary of state's corporation site. Find the owner/corporate officers of that dealership. There may be a huge corporation that owns every dealership on your city's main blvd. i.e. the guy you serve, doesn't even visit the BMW dealership.
b) The address will likely be phony. You can have a friend stalk the GM/copr. exec., if he is listed as an executive, at the dealership and serve the papers. Or you can go to the registrar of voters, to find the person's real address, and have a friend serve the papers.
c before b) File the small claims papers at your county offices and/or court admin offices. List the estimated cost of total replacement of the front facia, a reasonable estimate of your personal expenses, including time, cost of summons service, mileage, etc. Go for $5K, just come up with some plausible list of expenses to add up to that figure.
d) The odds are overwhelming, you will get a call and invitation to have your car fixed, within 24 hours after the summons is served.

·
kid in a candy store
329 Posts
Man, this sucks. I definitely told them to not drill holes in my bumper upon delivery. They even made me sign a waiver stating that I really told them not to install my front plate.

With that said, I think you have every right to get this fixed by them. But they are likely going to play dumb and let enough time go by and for your to get discouraged and maybe let you just walk away frustrated.

Any thoughts I had were already covered by the previous posts, so I'm just wishing you good luck. It would definitely bother me and I wouldn't let it go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you don't have any luck with the dealer, it looks like there's enough room to remount the plate frame below the original holes with new holes without reaching the top of the bumper cover. Measure twice, drill once. I mean you won't see any of them when you're done and it's a free fix. Just saying.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I thought of this solution. But if you take a close look at the picture of my front bumper, you can find one hole is close to bumper crease and there are additional two paint divots by the screws used to attach the license plate. One of divots is almost at bumper crease. So bracket has to be high enough to hide those divots and holes.

If you don't have any luck with the dealer, it looks like there's enough room to remount the plate frame below the original holes with new holes without reaching the top of the bumper cover. Measure twice, drill once. I mean you won't see any of them when you're done and it's a free fix. Just saying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks a lot for detailed suggestions.
Today I skipped salesman and directly communicate with their general manager.
I said I hope this issue can settle within dealership before I have to talk to BMW NA customer
service. I requested replacing a new bumper though I think a fill and repaint may be also acceptable as far as I can't tell difference on the finish.
As before, the GM politely acknowledged this was their mistake to drill holes like this and promised to come out an "acceptable solution". Let me wait they need to dig on their end. Then no updates....

(1) You bought a new car, unadulterated. You have a warranty. BMW is responsible for fixing it, to factory spec. And no, the front facia does not cost $2K. W/paint, it is more like $1K. High end manufacturers now deliberately put plastic facias around the car, just so they can replace and paint inexpensively.

(2) Don't shoot yourself in the foot before hand. You have rights. Just start up the chain of command, all the way to BMW USA, until you get pushed off or get satisfaction. Small claims court is an option. Remember to serve the summons to the owner of the dealership or corporate executive listed on the state corporation papers and no one else. Employees are not responsible.

(3) Also unexceptable. But that is why I personally inspect the facility before handing over the keys. And, I get multiple referrals & read Yelp.

Lastly, plastic bumpers can be patched (rewelded) to fill in the holes. And the color can be matched perfectly, by a competent body shop.
In my draconian dictatorship of CA, dealers are required by law, to install a front plate, before delivering a car. However, almost everyone, will look the other way, if the customer asks them ahead of time, not to install the front plate (me for one). (Yes, I have paid for a couple fixit tickets. I consider it my drive on CA roads tax.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update

General manger called back and politely asked if I could accept a solution that they don't replace the bumper but repair it and restore it to like these holes never happened. Then he mentioned they have some material that can fill holes and then sand and repaint the bumper.

I accepted this compromised solution instead of keeping requesting a new bumper.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The important thing is that you are happy with the resolution. However, IMHO, you were too nice and agreeable. They damaged your brand new car and they have insurance to cover such mistakes. I would have demanded a new, factory finished bumper as a replacement.
I do not agree with quack-bully that you were at fault for not being more careful at the time you accepted the car. We all know how the excitement of the moment getting a new car is ebullient and celebratory and can affect how we react to things.
I wish you all the best! :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks and another update:

I sent the car to dealer service department yesterday. They said they are going to bring it to their body shop to “fix” the bumper hole, or replace the entire bumper, depends on body shop evaluation. Service people said it might take more than a few days and provided me a 330 loaner.

They were very friendly and polite during my visit and I said they have to fix it to like the holes had never happened or I have to request further to replace it with a new bumper fascia

The important thing is that you are happy with the resolution. However, IMHO, you were too nice and agreeable. They damaged your brand new car and they have insurance to cover such mistakes. I would have demanded a new, factory finished bumper as a replacement.
I do not agree with quack-bully that you were at fault for not being more careful at the time you accepted the car. We all know how the excitement of the moment getting a new car is ebullient and celebratory and can affect how we react to things.
I wish you all the best! :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks and another update:

I sent the car to dealer service department yesterday. They said they are going to bring it to their body shop to “fix” the bumper hole, or replace the entire bumper, depends on body shop evaluation. Service people said it might take more than a few days and provided me a 330 loaner.

They were very friendly and polite during my visit and I said they have to fix it to like the holes had never happened or I have to request further to replace it with a new bumper fascia
Glad to hear that the dealership is taking your issue seriously. I would be concerned that a "repaint", no matter how well done, is not as durable as the original factory paint. So, over time, your bumper is not going to stand up to road debris hitting it as well as it would with the factory finish. Second, most likely, there will now be a history of "damage reported" on the carfax, and that could affect your resale in the future. You bought a brand new car. I would want the history to reflect "bumper replaced by the dealership at time of delivery" or something to that effect.
Best to you and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would be concerned that a "repaint", no matter how well done, is not as durable as the original factory paint. So, over time, your bumper is not going to stand up to road debris hitting it as well as it would with the factory finish.
This.
If it were the rear bumper it would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
well, ensure that the dealership doesn't report the bumper cover replacement to Carfax, or carfax may list it as an accident.

·
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle
341 Posts
This is criminal....drilling holes in a brand new BMW bumper.....SMFH.....anytime I'm buying a new bimmer, I put it on the sales contract in red ink that 1) sales person immediately confiscates the bracket upon arrival and 2) no drilling anything, and 3) no armor all anything. lol..... fkn dealers....they're still in the 50's.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
UPDATE

Dealer finally spent 6 working days to “repair” the bumper cover. It was a fill/patch/repaint not a replacement.

At the dealership service center, I’ve taken a close look at the bumper and it looked perfect and I couldn’t tell where was the holes. So I signed it off.

But glr778 was right. it can never be restored as new by filling the holes. later on I found at certain lighting conditions and angles, to be specific, at an angle that you put your eyes close to one side of bumper and look toward the other side, (your sight line is parallel with bumper) the reflection reveals the holes again, shown as a recessed area in an otherwise smooth surface. IMG_8696.jpg

The recessed area shows everything that was there before, the contour of the hole surrounded by the recessed circle made by the washers they applied hardly.

But If I touch the recessed area, it feels even. So I think they created some dimple and made the hole area recessed to fill it with paint and coating***65292;targeting an even finish after applying paint. but the paint or coating is somewhat transparent and the hole area reflects lights differently because underneath of this area is different from other part of bumper.

If i don’t look at that particular angle (I know it is strange, if I never knew there was holes, I wouldn’t have looked at it at this angle) , I have to say mostly I can’t see anything there. This is picture taken from front view. IMG_8700.jpg

I may just live with this result (dealer didn’t like to replace bumper and I didn’t spend more time to argue with them at the first place) and don‘t want to spend more time on it.

Lesson learned:

1. Tell dealer you don’t want bumper holes at the moment you walk into the dealership. Tell them three times. Tell them it is deal breaker

2. take a close look at the car upon delivery. refuse delivery if this kind of thing happens.

3. fill/patch a hole won’t restore it as new. you can still tell them when you see the reflections, even the surface is perfect even, reflections would be different because the thickness of paint is not even. But it is only noticeable when your sight line is very parallel with bumper. Normally you don’t see it this way in daily life.

It won't. The only option to restore the bumper cover to "like new" would be a complete replacement.

As luigi524td mentioned, patching/filling the holes combined with repaint is a hack job and completely unacceptable. And as quackbury mentioned, it would be prudent to speak with your dealership's general manager and remain firm requesting either a replacement bumper cover or an exchange of the car you purchased for a new, unmolested 440i.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It's a shame this happened. It would have been so much quicker & easier if the dealer had never installed the bracket, but we don't have a time machine! If you have to look that hard to see the flaw, knowing where it is, you should be good. I know where the flaws are on my car - just have to relax, as you can't see them when seated behind the wheel!

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
I am glad it was resolved (almost) to your satisfaction. Now go out and do what one is supposed to do with a BMW: cover that bumper with bug guts going 80 mph.

The alternative is to obsess over this for months, keep fighting the dealership, get a new bumper, only to come out to the parking lot and find some yahoo with a pickup truck backed into your bumper, left a dimple the size of his trailer hitch, and drove off without a note. You purchased a sports sedan, not an irreplaceable work of art. Go out and enjoy her.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts