BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts. This past week I started feeling something different on the steering wheel when taking a sweeping right turn (i.e. off ramp). It feels like you are going over a few small bumps in the road even though the surface is smooth. At first I suspected that the control arm has gone out but I lifted the car to inspect it but they still look fine. I inspected the other suspension parts (by pulling on them and shaking them) but everything seems to be in order. Could it be that something in the steering mechanism came loose? I only have 16K miles on the car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Question for the experts. This past week I started feeling something different on the steering wheel when taking a sweeping right turn (i.e. off ramp). It feels like you are going over a few small bumps in the road even though the surface is smooth. At first I suspected that the control arm has gone out but I lifted the car to inspect it but they still look fine. I inspected the other suspension parts (by pulling on them and shaking them) but everything seems to be in order. Could it be that something in the steering mechanism came loose? I only have 16K miles on the car.
If your warranty is still good maybe you could let the dealer take a look? I'm definitely not one of the experts but I would say yes it could be something has come loose. If it only does it turning in one direction could it be a problem with the steering rack?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took in my car to get it checked out, the dealer said the suspension and steering seems to be in order. They acknowledge hearing and feeling the "thump". The techs tried to swap a different set of front tires and test drove it but was not able to duplicate it then. They concluded that the front tires are causing it and recommended that I get a new set. I find this rather unusual since the front tires still have a lot thread left and I do not notice any uneven thread wear. I will take it to Firestone next to see if they can find something with the tires and hopefully get a warranty claim processed. Has anyone had this experience? BTW I am running original RE040.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They said they checked the bearings too. I will take it to tire store and report back here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I called Bridgetone (800 number) to find out how I can get some resolution on this. Customer service referred me to a local Friestone store to get my tires checked. I finally had a chance to stop by the tire store. The store manager inspected my tire and said that it looks OK except for a slight uneven wear. He asked me to schedule an appointment to get the alignment check. He said if the alignment checks out then he can process a "warranty claim" for a new set of tires. Now I've searched the Wiki for the align specs and it seems foreign to me. I finally went in to get my alignment check and as it turns out it is a little off. Then again I compared the tire store specs with what was posted on the Wiki (from Bentley Manual) and can't seem to make sense of it.

I was going to attached the aligment print out to my message but don't know how. Can someone walk me through how to do it? I wanted expert opinions on how to compare the sheet I got from the spec sheet from the Wiki.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts