BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all!
This message is always appearing in the panel before I start the engine on my 528i . It never failed to start the engine though, and run smooth. The check engine light never shows up when running...Is this a critical fault? Or this needs immidiate attention?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Im sorry i dont understand what the message is or what your trying to say

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
What's overheating? The coolant or your cat converter?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry fo rormaking you guys confused... The message "SLOW! CAT. OVERHEAT" always appear on the panel before i start the engine of the car...but this doeant show when the engine is already running.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I think this is supposed to mean your catalytic converter is overheated, creating a fire danger, among other things. There may be a malfunctioning temperature sensor on or around your exhaust.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I never ever ever ever heard of that message

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Bodbmac:Thanks for the reply.I have read some threads that this message is quite normal for japan imported once.I recon its true, since this message was written on the driver's visor, but unfortunately its the only words that was written in english, so I really cannot get the exact meaning of the writtings.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Here's the same message on the 740 board at bimmerforums. Same symptoms, as well. Message comes on before start and then disappears. Here's one of the replies:

"I asked a friend if he has ever seen that before, he said once on an e39.
It was a bad MAF, causing a rich gas mixture, making the post cat o2 sensors read that the cats were over heating.
He changed the MAF and Post cat o2's and after a day it went away."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine too

My JDM 523i shows the same message, but goes away after a few seconds and the warning arrow on the left side of the display disappears (unlike if the boot lid is open etc.) No codes show on a diagnostic machine...

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
@Bodbmac:Thanks for the reply.I have read some threads that this message is quite normal for japan imported once.I recon its true, since this message was written on the driver's visor, but unfortunately its the only words that was written in english, so I really cannot get the exact meaning of the writtings.
It looks like a Japanese market thing. Here's another quote:

"hey. i noticed you are in bc too. im pretty new at the e38 but just a thought. is your car from japan? if it is, j-spec cars all have exhaust gas temp warnings on them required by some japanese laws. its really just a sensor that usually doesn't affect anything. if it is indeed from japan, maybe your new exhaust is not j-spec and doesnt have the bung for the sensor."

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
mac-zila, the more I think about it, the notice written on the driver's visor confirms to me that it's a standard warning for the Japanese market. In addition, because it goes out immediately, I think that's consistent with other warning lights that come on when you first turn on the ignition, like the seat belt light and so forth, that also go out after the engine starts.

·
Right Hand Drive
52 Posts
Confirmed...I'm in Japan...and my RHD 97 E39 M52 97k kms gives this light on start up each and every time...and I have the visor warning sticker...unfortunately I can not read it..my wife can...and it says to pull over if the light comes on.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
i have water heating problem, i've been told that it gets air from somewhere, water heats every day, but it seems that all sisteme working good, how do i find where the air gets inside and fix the
problem?
thank you

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
hi
i have water heating problem, i've been told that it gets air from somewhere, water heats every day, but it seems that all sisteme working good, how do i find where the air gets inside and fix the
problem?
thank you
I'm not sure why you double posted, but that is OT for this thread, so, see the answers in your duplicate thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > water heat, by zazajeladze

1 - 17 of 17 Posts