BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sluggish Acceleration?

19492 Views 37 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  HerbP
I've been finding that the car has exhibited sluggish acceleration lately...

If I punch the gas pedal on the highway, it's as if it "chokes" a bit first before starting to pick up power.

I was thinking maybe I'm not driving in the proper range of the power band...i.e. most power/torque at higher RPM's?

Or possibly fuel injectors?

Anyone else experience this and have some suggestions?

2008 E63 with 62km (~40k miles) and 6-speed MT.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
****Update - discussed replacing the solenoids with my Indy today.He seems to think it's a good idea too based on our mutual circumstances and the data supplied by HerbP. After that, I chased his older 7 car thru traffic on another mission. Fun drive and it feels more like turbo lag now.
Have you tried resetting the adaptations and doing a Valvetronic relearn procedure?
No, but why would I do that? I haven't changed anything since the 90K service - changed the plugs, oil, fixed all of the leaks and replaced the expansion tank. The plugs looked good and upper end looked nice and clean. They may have replaced the outside O rings. I drove this car in nanny mode until I got the feel of it. The throttle lag that I didn't like in nanny mode is in sport mode now. It happened again yesterday even after a rainstorm cooled things to 75 F.

This is still my first software driven car so I could well be wrong.
Have you tried resetting the adaptations and doing a Valvetronic relearn procedure?
That***8217;s basically my point, a lot of software and computers. Sometimes a reset can go a long way. In my case the reset of adaptations and DSC, relearn of Valvetronic high/low points made a huge difference.
I may not have been asking the right questions. The guy that worked on my car showed me how his computer was talking to the car and what he was doing. I was happy that he seemed comfortable and practiced enough to show it to me.

Anecdotally, the throttle lag is getting worse and less predictable in all conditions.

Monday is 100K service and new solenoids. I'll be sure to ask about what was reset. Some interesting betting opportunities occur to me. :)
That's basically my point, a lot of software and computers. Sometimes a reset can go a long way. In my case the reset of adaptations and DSC, relearn of Valvetronic high/low points made a huge difference.
I had all of the fluids changed and the cam adjuster solenoids replaced with OEM parts yesterday. All of the resets were performed. All of the new tires are wearing evenly. That puts me a in a known good state all around the house.

Throttle response - picked up the car this morning. Definitely crisper based on 20-25 miles with sporty city driving and some highway driving. Gassed up before the highway to less than full. Got some growl at 70 and 80 mph. Ambient temp 84F. I repeated the first gear test* that I detailed in another thread. It was better as in more linear and probably quicker. This is a heavy car and you can't cheat the laws of physics.

I think I need to know more about this adaptation stuff the computer is doing. Sprint Booster may yet be attractive.

* normal launch and the hammer the throttle.
Hey guys! Just an update:

Replaced the 4 Vanos solenoids today and believe the problem is solved! Low end pickup is much better and the lag/lurch/hesitation seems to be gone.

I read some posts that just replacing the o-rings might be the trick, but my mechanic said the solenoids are a wear item that probably needs replacing after certain mileage anyway, so I did them. Not cheap - about $600 from the stealership - even after my large discount.

Hope it helps someone else with the issue!
Day two was 77F. Blipping the throttle on down shift is much better. Nice punch in traffic too. The 70-90 time is much more like when I first bought the car.

Now I just have to set the baseline program again?
Glad you got her running better!
Aired out a Charger on the way home from dinner tonight. Once the road got open, he let me catch him at 80. I showed him how this car moved and it was bye bye baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLx0AyZe-o

SWMBO thought he had too much testosterone. ;)
I'm going to announce victory. The engine is throatier up and down the dial. Blips nicely too. Traffic problems solve easier.
This is an ancient thread.
How did you fix it
If you want better help, start a new thread to keep people from saying things like this.
It is usually better to start a new thread, instead of using one that has not been used in a while. If you want help, this is the best way & fastest. Since I am a clown, I won't bother to help you if you in the future!
Couple of clowns you are on a bimmer er website tryna tell people what to do and act like you run the site pipe down boy
Forgive him Herb, for he knows not what he is talking about. Apparently new here and has no idea of the help and wisdom that you have.
You have people that login here, just to start trouble at times. I want lose any sleep over his response.!
I banned him. We don't need his attitude or input.

Herb, you have more patience than me.

Carry on, gentlemen.

Ken
Reactions: FredoinSF
I was trying to be nice, it did cross my mind thou!
Reactions: FredoinSF
21 - 38 of 38 Posts