BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear wiper on my wife's -03 325xiT is sluggish, to say the least:cry:. The washer pump works great, but the fluid just streams down the window with no blade to use it:bawling:.

Fuses are good. The blade starts out slow, then stops at the midpoint, blocking the rear view. Is there a lube point for the motor gear head? Or do I have to disassemble the whole rear door to get at that buried motor to replace it?

Any help is appreciated!!!

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
My wiper was very slow, and the motor was fine, but the mechanism that rotates was all seized up. Pretty easy to replace, you just open the window, take off the wiper arm, and the plastic bit inside the glass, and there are obvious fasteners to remove the mechanism. I forget what it's called, but I got the replacement from bavauto... works like a champ now.

If you open the window and move the wiper by hand, it should be easy, like with one finger (wiper up). If it's stiff, then replace that part before you burn out the motor!

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Not the greatest pictures, but this is kind of what you're dealing with, the part circled in red. The other pics are just what's left when you take the mechanism off. I think the little latch that holds down the window is a separate piece, you just take it off the old and put in on the new wiper pivot.

Like I said, if you can easily move the wiper arm with the window up, then it is more likely the motor. But if it's stiff, it's probably the pivot, #2 in the link below.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AR73&mospid=47730&btnr=61_1282&hg=61&fg=45

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. Fault seems to be intermittent now. Have taken wiper arm off and all teeth seem fine and wiper moves freely when window open. There is no gunk.
Have noticed that washer spray won't always engaged when press switch on steering column. When washer does switch on the motor and wiper swipe as normal. It might work for 2 days. And Then stop for 6 days and then start again. I am thinking now maybe an electrical fault with the control unit or switch on steering column.

·
Go Hokies!
276 Posts
While the wiper is during one of its "non working" times, you could try to access the wiring harness for the wiper motor. Unplug it, and with a multimeter see if there are any changes in the harness plug while a friend operates the switch.

The motor's not too hard to get to. There are bunch of phillips head screws and a few plastic plugs holding the plastic tailgate interior on. Tricky thing in getting to the screws & plugs is carefully prying off the carpet-covered piece without breaking its tabs (PO managed to do that on my wagon). There are also two screws hidden under the upper plastic trim piece around the circular plate that mates with the wiper - the trim piece just pops off. There's also a small rectangular trim piece around the bottom tailgate latch, held on by two plastic plugs. When you have everything unscrewed/unplugged, hang the plastic panel from the latch and disconnect the small plug from the small light at the bottom of the hatch.

The one possible problem with this plan is that the wiper may not work with the tailgate or the glass open, so you may have to crouch in the back with them closed.

I'm having the opposite problem with the glass - it randomly pops open! Some kind of electrical glitch, as it stopped doing it when I disconnected the harness from the glass latch
mechanism (which resides next to the wiper motor). For now I'm driving around with a perpetual "tailgate open" icon on the dash display. I'm hoping it's an internal fault with the glass latch mechanism, which is ~$100. If it's a fault with the car's electronic module, yikes.

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
I'm having the opposite problem with the glass - it randomly pops open!
Not to thread hijack, but I had the same problem. The switches can be trouble on those, too, and are cheaper (~30?) than the latch mech.). I disconnected my button and now I can open it with the key still, just not the button on the wiper pivot. Send me a PM if you want to troubleshoot / discuss further...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.