BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 745i that only has 75k on it. the steering has actually quit working once before to where I couldnt even steer the car. It has come back completely and other times gets sluggish if I try to turn the steering wheel too fast at slow speeds. What the hell is the deal with this thing? I think that the brake system and the power steering use the same hydraulic system and resevoir. Is the resevior also a filter and if I change it will it improve the power steering? The brakes work fine. Also I have a leak and believe it is from the steering. Can the computer be reset for the steering?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Check your fluid level in the power steering pump resevoir. If the fluid level is OK, then it sounds like your power steering pump is about to go out. I don't think the brake booster and power steering is at all interconnected. If anything, they probably use the same fluid (DOT 4). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno if putting DOT4 in a 7 series is a good idea. I use CHF11S. I am not a hydraulic tecnition but why would a pump work when it wanted to? I am a mechanic and as far as I know it works or it does not. I have heard that the pump shaft can shear then it is completely dead. Min e works goo most of the time but then it decides sometimes not to. Could the filter be clogged? and lower line pressure at times causing the sluggishness?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.