BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Swedish Murder Machine
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I discovered a small compartment to the lower left of the steering wheel. I can pull it open but I have no idea what it is supposed to be for and the manual makes no mention of it. Does anyone know what it is for? I found it while looking for the fuse box. Might be a good place to stow sunglasses.

· just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,645 Posts
Today I discovered a small compartment to the lower left of the steering wheel. I can pull it open but I have no idea what it is supposed to be for and the manual makes no mention of it. Does anyone know what it is for? I found it while looking for the fuse box. Might be a good place to stow sunglasses.
Ahhh...the unexpected finds in this car! Actually, page 151 in the manual tells about the driver's side "glove compartment". Interesting that the term "glove compartment" has carried through the ages. Something else that was thoughtful was the little netting in the passenger's glove compartment to hold the tray that covers the front cupholders - this has always been a contention with my 2001 X5 as to where to put the darn tray when I want to use the cupholders.

Looking at the pictures in the owner's manual (pp 99-104), it appears that there are on/off buttons for lane departure, blind spot, and collision warning where the driver's side glove compartment would be - not sure if these options then delete that storage compartment.

· Registered
68 Posts
Any of the drivers assist options delete the compartment as there wouldn't be enough room for it. Also, you need a storage option for it to get it, but I guess that's standard in the US. This has been the reason for some confusion with german buyers as people couldn't explain, why some have, and some don't.

· Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,557 Posts
Any of the drivers assist options delete the compartment as there wouldn't be enough room for it. Also, you need a storage option for it to get it, but I guess that's standard in the US. This has been the reason for some confusion with german buyers as people couldn't explain, why some have, and some don't.
Correct, standard in the U.S. when the electronic nanny controls do not replace it.

· Registered
17 Posts
A snub nose Smith & Wesson J frame fits perfectly.

· I probably dislike you...
786 Posts
I keep change, my EZ pass, and a couple of other misc items in there. It is actually larger than I expected when I first opened it.

· Registered
679 Posts
This thread does an extraordinary job of showing the diversity of people who frequent the Bimmerfest Board. On one extreme we have the gentle folk extolling the virtues of a newly found storage compartment for stashing their Wet-Naps and Chapstick and on the other we have road warriors saying it's a great place to stow their brass knuckles and Solothurn Anti-Tank rifles.

· BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,089 Posts
Whoa, that's a factory mistake right there.

The CSC (Cigar Storage Compartment) is part of the Luxury line, you're not supposed to have it.

BJ

· Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for the Heads Up

Thanks, told my Wife and she was thrilled. Will come in handy for the Ray Bans:bigpimp: I do not think we had that feature in our 2006 330i or our 2009 335i. Should come in handy on our PCD adventure when we drive cross country from South Carolina to San Diego :thumbup:;):bigpimp:

· Registered
2,574 Posts
This thread does an extraordinary job of showing the diversity of people who frequent the Bimmerfest Board. On one extreme we have the gentle folk extolling the virtues of a newly found storage compartment for stashing their Wet-Naps and Chapstick and on the other we have road warriors saying it's a great place to stow their brass knuckles and Solothurn Anti-Tank rifles.
So...you are a 'road warrior' who likes to show off about your guns and spend a lot of time on Internet forums...terrific!!!

PS I don't actually live in Seattle and I don't even have a frigging BMW... :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.