BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a small gouge in my alloy wheel. You can't really see it a from a distance and it really isn't that bad to look at when you are close, but I was wondering if I should have the gouge smoothed out by a professional. The only reason I would get it done is if it would help preserve the wheel's appearance. I know that alloy is not going to rust or anything, but does this break in the wheel's surface pose any future problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
It looks like you have a cosmetic issue only. If you bring your F10 to the dealer, they can repair the rim and make it look brand new. I just had two of my rims repaired by the dealer (they actually subcontract out the work). One rim was apparently damaged by a curb and the other by the dealer when changing a tire. The dealer repaired the rim that it damaged for free and charged me $125.00 for the other rim that I damaged. You can not tell that either rim had ever been damaged.

Here is a thread that I started, which you may be interested in reviewing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505263&highlight=

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
@kirbyj:
It's really so small I would leave it alone. You already threw some touchup paint on it and you can't even tell unless you're right on it or looking for it. I would wait till a more pronounced scrape happens as it's usually a question of when and not if, then get the wheel professionally resurfaced. There are many places that do the work and the price is fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That is so minor I would consider repairing it yourself with one of the kits available on bavauto or another source. Fwiw my dealer charges $75 for repairs, and when I had it done on my e90 you could absolutely not tell.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@kirbyj:
It's really so small I would leave it alone. You already threw some touchup paint on it and you can't even tell unless you're right on it or looking for it. I would wait till a more pronounced scrape happens as it's usually a question of when and not if, then get the wheel professionally resurfaced. There are many places that do the work and the price is fairly reasonable.
Actually, I did not put any touchup paint on the gouge. That is just the way it looks. I may consider a "do it yourself" kit, as another poster mentioned, since the scape is so small, but I wonder if the alloy is solid throughout the wheel and if you can resurface it and polish it out with no problems. It looks to me like the wheel is all one piece and you can just resurface it and not have to worry about wearing through some surface layer. Am I correct?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Actually, I did not put any touchup paint on the gouge. That is just the way it looks. I may consider a "do it yourself" kit, as another poster mentioned, since the scape is so small, but I wonder if the alloy is solid throughout the wheel and if you can resurface it and polish it out with no problems. It looks to me like the wheel is all one piece and you can just resurface it and not have to worry about wearing through some surface layer. Am I correct?
Yes, you are correct. For gouges there is a putty like resin that can be sanded/buffed/painted if need be...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Honestly, I would just leave it alone, or just dab some touch up paint on it. If it really bothers you, I would have it fixed professionally. Trying to do this yourself is more time and effort than it's worth, and there's a chance it will come out worse than when you started. Matching paint is an art.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, I would just leave it alone, or just dab some touch up paint on it. If it really bothers you, I would have it fixed professionally. Trying to do this yourself is more time and effort than it's worth, and there's a chance it will come out worse than when you started. Matching paint is an art.
Good point. I will more than likely do nothing at this time. It sounds like you are all saying that there is no harm in leaving this ding in the wheel alone as it won't get any worse. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You wanna see bad, I'll show you bad. This is what a tire shop did to my rim...
Even this can be fixed rather easily, but I insisted in a new rim, which they obliged.

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
IMO, you should get the rim repaired, if that is what you would like to do. IMO, whether the repair cost is $75 or $125 (what I paid), the cost of this repair is of no consequence relative to the price paid to either purchase or lease the vehicle. In other words, do what makes you happy. For me, two of my rims were damaged within three months of delivery. I preferred to have both rims repaired and so I had them repaired. The next issue that I am thinking of addressing is the windshield. It looks like it has five years of wear, rather than five months, but that is a topic for another thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts