BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smart Festers:Can you dissect F10 side crash & tell me what'd happen to tall drivers?

This is gonna be a morbid and weird thread but I appreciate anyone who can dissect it and provide any insight or thoughts. A friend of mind who unfortunately passed too soon once told me a story of a friend of his who got into a moderate side impact in his Civic, and due to the side airbags failing to deploy, his head collided with the B Pillar and unfortunately it didn't turn out well for him. Hence my rising paranoia.

I posted a thread a while ago raising my concerns about lack of headroom on this car for me (or any modern car really, you'd be surprised at how many 4K lb huge Sedans my 6'4 with long torso (probably making my headroom necessity closer to an average 6'6 person's I'd guess) can't comfortably fit in, my previous E Classes were even worse.

Recently, going over bumps and my head hitting the roof has got me paranoid in how regardless of the fact that I'm driving one of the worlds safest cars, it might do me no good in the event of even a moderate crash where my head can contact one of the many hard points it's literally right next to. And I have my seat ALL the way down, steering wheel ALL the way out, and all that setup to maximize room (my hair still rubs against the roof when I slouch, and is right up against it when I sit up straight).

I'll explain exactly where I'm positioned in the cabin then post this vid which shows you where the bags protect.

-Firstly, I slouch as much as I can so my head clears as much space between the roof (not much), which is not a good position in the case of a FRONTAL crash from what I understand (you want to be sitting upright), so there's that whole OTHER concern (when I sit up straight and I move my whole torso forward as if getting in a rapid frontal movement, an inch or two of a "jump" and my head can come into contact with the steel roof edge after the sunroof opening, which no airbag can protect from).

-Therefore, my head is usually in line with the upper grab-handle bar (notice the curtain airbag DOES NOT go up to the handle bar, meaning unless I really slouch, which I try to do, my head can go into contact directly with it and its surrounding areas.

-I push the backrest so far back (to try and get as much headroom as possible), I'm literally sitting NEXT TO the side B Pillar, i.e if I look to my left, I'm looking at the middle of the B Pillar, not the window. Does anyone know if the airbag that covers the pillar is padded? It looks more padded at the windows. If it's not padded, then anyone who sits that far back's head collides with it and it's bye bye (that thing is hard, I simulated a very slight force against it and even that gave me a headache.... a brute force could be a no chance situation). The padding at the window area would do me no to little good considering where I"m positioned in the cabin.

-If I move my head to the left, again, I'm coming into contact with the "bent" area, i.e where the roof bends downward into the B Pillar area, which looking at the vid, worries me is unprotected.

Here's the Video showing the areas where the airbag protects (how high it goes, what areas are most seemingly padded, etc.):

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try to find a car that lets you sit lower. My E92 coupe did that.

BYW what year was your friend's civic? I have a 2013 also.
I think it was a 2010 or something as it happened several years ago. Was a really sad story as apparently the hit was not that big a deal and the airbags would have probably had him mostly okay. Trying at least use the tragedy to take precautions myself which is what now is in my head when I notice my cars hard points are all surrounding my cranium, seemingly unprotected by even the airbag areas of coverage.

Yeah a low seating car is ideal. The new 911 is perfect. SUV's are too but I'd hate to have to get an SUV.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
You probably will not like what I have to say but, based on your description, you're driving the wrong car because in an accident your car could either paralyze or kill you. My greatest concern in this regard is that it would not have to be a very serious accident for your head to violently contact the inside of the roof and crush or compress your cervical spine. Moreover, your seating position cannot possibly be comfortable particularly on longer drives. I'm not saying you should do this, but consider a car like the Panamera. When the Pana was conceived the CEO of Porsche, who is 6'5", said he wanted a vehicle that could fit him comfortably in every seat. I'm glad and relieved to know that you're conscious of this dilemma.

·
BMW aficionado
686 Posts
K-A,

Please switch to a vehicle which would be safer for you when your lease is up. The risk, however small, should be taken seriously since you drive in LA. Your safety comes first and foremost.

It's sad that even such a large vehicle like F10 cannot accommodate taller drivers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
BMW Enthusiast
305 Posts
It's sad that even such a large vehicle like F10 cannot accommodate taller drivers.
I'm 6'4" 220lbs. and this is without a doubt the most comfortable car that I ever had, I guess that the comfort seats have something to do with it.

K-A, I feel like I have enough leg room and adequate head room in this car. Probably you have a taller torso than me because I don't sit that high in my car, also the BMW F10 head room is 40.5" and the Panamera is 38" so I don't believe that you will be more comfortable in a Pana IMHO.

In the end getting home safely to our loved ones is what matters the most and if you have any doubts on how you vehicle will protect you and your loved ones in the event of an accident then changing to another vehicle is a must.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and I'm beginning to realize that my proportions don't mix well with this car. It's actually extremely comfortable on long drives (which I do often) but sometimes my head is too close for comfort. Like I said I have a position which I've worked out to be comfy in the car itself, however right at the brink which is what puts my safety in question.

Leslierc: Thanks and you nailed it. That's my exact concern. That even a little accident can have me contact with enough naked hard points where the car can't even protect as intended.

Unreal a car of this size is so un-accommodating to my height. :(

And lol,a helmet, I wish, I'd have to lie down to get that to fit in there with me.

·
Serial Leasee
843 Posts
K-A: Your car doesn't like you keep you inside anyways (re: door pops open issue), it's telling you that you need an upgrade sooner!

Do you fit in a 7er? I am sure the dealers have been blowing them out for last two years. I recall 740i M Sport comes with huge discount. :)

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K-A: Your car doesn't like you keep you inside anyways (re: door pops open issue), it's telling you that you need an upgrade sooner!

Do you fit in a 7er? I am sure the dealers have been blowing them out for last two years. I recall 740i M Sport comes with huge discount. :)
Lol, yeah maybe I should take it all as a sign. It's not a good one when you're driving one of the safest cars out there and you feel "unsafe" because the #$*#*#&$#&* engineers didn't take people of your height into account in terms of protected areas and proportions.

I probably would fit fine in a 7 I think, and the new S Class I do, but I'm trying to actually downsize cars if possible (for the first time in my life basically) next time. I'm so not in the mood right now for a massive family Sedan like a 7 or S, plus I like the F10 more than the F01. Of course, not to mention the added costs of moving up to that segment.

The 6 Series I *think* could be just right for me. It has more headroom for me than the F10 but I have to sit in it again and gauge what hard points may be of threat in the various ways a crash could whip you around. But I'm *pretty sure* it might be safe enough for my height. The 6 having no actual moving sunroof helps immensely. I just need to see how high I sit compared to the side roof rails. What's so annoying about the F10, my E before it (especially my E's as they have a higher seating position than the F10.... the F10 felt so refreshingly low to me when I first got it) and so many Sedans is how it seems like the seats should be able to go much lower. Seems there's lots of space between my seat and the floor even at its lowest setting. If I could get another 2" down then I'd fit about perfectly in this car.

I do KNOW (once again as I went to a Porsche dealer to make sure) that a 991 without sunroof especially, and of course SUV's have ideal headroom for me. Considering the latter is out of the question, I've drawn two conclusions:

To feel safe in a car with my height proportions, I either need to get something really cheap (Econ cars have great headroom usually, especially with no sunroof), or really expensive, i.e 911, (maybe, have to do more "fit tests") 6 Series, S Class, etc.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
You can probably special order an f10 without a sunroof next time if that helps. Of course it will be hard to verify that this configuration would give you the needed headroom without going to Europe and renting one.

But given that you fit in a 6 (which has a lower roofline) it does seem that the sunroof could be the major factor.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.