1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CEL = none related and something simple (dont worry) :thumbup:

https://vimeo.com/276904802
Notes:
@ 0:08 - When you see the rpm jump, that's actually me gassing the peddle, it didn't do it on its own.
@ 1:09 - Im switching from D1 mode to manul mode and even so, it still goes into gears just fine.....

Recently, I did an oil change, and added Ceratec (first time trying), mind you before this oil change, there were 0 symptoms / behavior with the rpms... and weirdly after the oil change, this is when I noticed it.

At first, I thought it was ceratec, making my rpm's boost like that since its job is to fill cracks and un even surfaces on metal and make it much smoother, which would explain why the rpms are sensitive when gassing the peddle.

Positive points:

1. The car drives fine when gassing the peddle and switching gears, and since its a smg, all smg's tend to make you want to run all the way to red line, before engaging to the next gear. (D1 mode)

2. When gassing the peddle the car moves like its supposed to, there isn't no delay like if it was actually a clutch or transmission slipping and car wouldn't want move, but NO she moves like normal but I do notice a gear engage delay so maybe there is some type of slippage maybe ????

Another thing I want to point out, idk if it could be true or not, but too much oil (overfill) could make a clutch/transmission slip ???

I did overfill my oil just a tiny bit, but I always do this, and eventually it goes down to the correct level by indication on the idrive...the overfill wasn't excessively just maybe 9qt give or take total... vs 8.5qt

What Im experiencing could me a lot of things, so im confused, but Im more worried about ruling out my clutch, vs anything else, because that's a huge bill...

SMG pump was replaced back in 2014, they say pump wouldn't be related per say, because I would have trouble getting it into gear, etc, and I never experienced that so......

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you accelerate does it grab immediately, or rev up then grab?
well, in D1 mode, and this is intermediate and its always been like this, once it reaches 3k rpm depending what gear im already in, thats when it grabs or sometimes it grabs at lower rpms but it all depends on the drive situation...

but smg owners and m5 owners with smg always tell me this is normal because its a smg...:confused: M1 mode it bites just fine whenever I tell it to.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Maybe off topic but I recall reading a specific warning about overfilling the oil. You may not want to make that a habit.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe off topic but I recall reading a specific warning about overfilling the oil. You may not want to make that a habit.
I been aware of over filling oil, but i dont do it every oil change usually every other change, and only .5 qts wont hurt anything...

I mainly do it so that in case of old oil gets left behind, while draining... I have .5qts to cover it. and that .5qts usually gets burned eventually or leaks out.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, im DOOMED

i keep getting clutch over heat on idrive

and now its gotten worse, to the point, it acts like it doesn't want to move....

time to part out the car? or what are my options....

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
I wouldn't say doomed. Probably need a new clutch. It's worn out so it's slipping and causing it to heat up excessively.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wouldn't say doomed. Probably need a new clutch. It's worn out so it's slipping and causing it to heat up excessively.

I pulled the codes, but it says nothing about clutch....
04EF8
04F6D
051A7

been doing a lot of digging around the net, and i think and *HOPE* :eeps: its just a temp sensor that needs replacing.

04EF8 - ENGINE SPEED HARDWIRED

note my code here, but a guy over at m5board is having the exact same issues as me...and he says it needs a clutch replacement or "PLCD" whatever that is.

-SMG pump was replaced in 2014 (+Hyd fluid)
-Brake fluid was changed in 2015
-Trans Fluid drain/fill in 2016
-Gears changes fine in manual mode (1-6) - no trouble engaging... but still throw overheat message and high rpms
-Gears have trouble engaging (catching) in D1 mode
-It never takes me out of gear and go into N

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found someone who has the same codes and problem im experiencing, but 1 of his code is different from mine, but the other two are the same.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-diagnostics-repair-4/smg-new-tyres-10082/

basically he states that he's been having trouble with he clutch engaging, after he got new tires.. He was supposed to do a smg reset procedure by holding both shift paddles while going over +40mph.

now this doesn't necessarily fit my situation because I dont have new tires, but its funny that I do have a camber issue / really worn out rear right tire thats showing its wires under the rubber, which i was in the mince of replacing.... is this a coincidence that I have a worn out tire, and now my smg is acting up ? it makes sense but then it kind of doesn't make sense.

why would a worn out tire, cause the clutch to slip ? or (think its slipping because of the speed of the tire, so it waits to engage, but in reality its basically riding the clutch and causing it to over heat) ?

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Go to a professional.

yea guess i will have to, at this point paying $100 to diagnose the issue is my best option...

i tried resetting and adapting the smg which gave me no luck, tried testing the car and got stuck down the street and called for a tow truck.

checked the pressure of the pump and it shows i have pressure so that’s good.
Image1530142120.153726.jpg

i’m more moving over towards the clutch needing to be replaced.

car starts up fine and everything else, only issue is that gassing the peddle the car doesn’t move. i can select all gears but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
She's back alive !!!!!!

yesterday got clutch replacement done, and it definitely was my clutch...

smg unit and its parts are all fine (i was glad i didn't get bit by the smg bug)

flywheel was worn a bit and probably needing replacement but at this point i couldn't spend that kind of money so we tried resurfacing the flywheel a bit.

now she drives better than before... was told ~500 of normal driving to break in the clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts