BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Where would you like your shift paddles mounted?

• Wheel

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Column

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Screw it, smack the lever on the console

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Darwinator.
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven a few SSG cars, a DSG, and Toyota's SMG. I'd love to try out the M3 and Ferrari flavor. But one thing that frustrates me is the paddles on the wheel. IIRC, Ferrari mounts them to the column so they don't turn with the wheel. Wouldn't know, never been in one. It was especially frustrating on the A3 which does not exactly have a quick steering ratio...try to flip the right paddle with the wheel upside down...no matter, I guess, since the car reverts back to auto mode if you don't press a paddle every 3 seconds or so...

I realize, though, that if I was doing things right I wouldn't be shifting in the middle of a turn, but in street driving that often ends up the right time to shift.

I steer by shuffle - how I was taught at the Performance Center - so my hands are normally at 9 and 3.

Anyway I thought it might make for interesting conversation...thoughts?

B.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
If you shuffle steer, paddles on the column make sense.

If you keep your hands at the same place on the wheel, then paddles on the wheel make more sense.

I keep my hand position on the wheel, therefore I prefer paddles on the wheel. Only at parking lot speeds do you need to move your hands. Even starting from a stop and turning, I don't have to turn the wheel that much.

I don't agree with shuffle steer because it compromises your ability to properly recover from a severe oversteer situation, ie incipient spin.

·
Waiting for a train...
516 Posts
Pinecone said:
If you shuffle steer, paddles on the column make sense.

If you keep your hands at the same place on the wheel, then paddles on the wheel make more sense.

I keep my hand position on the wheel, therefore I prefer paddles on the wheel. Only at parking lot speeds do you need to move your hands. Even starting from a stop and turning, I don't have to turn the wheel that much.

I don't agree with shuffle steer because it compromises your ability to properly recover from a severe oversteer situation, ie incipient spin.
This is always an interesting debate: to shuffle steer or not. If you primarily drive cars with quick steering, you'll believe hands should remain in place. As a FWD showroom stock racer, I know that is not always possible with slow steering, as the high steering angles require you to move hands unless you have rubber arms.

I normally place my hands before entering a turn so they are at 9 and 3 (or 10 and 4) going through the turn. This allows plenty of room to adjust to a "severe oversteer situation."

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
The problem is, once you correct the severe sudden oversteer, by not having a good idea where straight ahead is for the wheel, you can induce a second case of sudden oversteer in either direction.

And even if you go past the point of staying at 9 and 3, you can hand over, with one hand in position for a LOT of lock. I can go some 260 degrees of wheel motion and still maintain my my straight ahead position.

All this said, I sometimes, in autocrossing, find myself repositioning my hands on the wheel. :)

No one right answer for ALL situations. Best to have them all in your bag of available tricks.

·
Waiting for a train...
516 Posts
Pinecone said:
All this said, I sometimes, in autocrossing, find myself repositioning my hands on the wheel. :)

No one right answer for ALL situations. Best to have them all in your bag of available tricks.
I once had this very discussion with Bill Adam and Derek Bell (yeah, really) over beers one night. When I reminded them that most of their seat time was in cars that are meant to be raced, they agreed with us that there are times it is necessary to move your hands.

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
:doh: AAHHH! I need a re-vote! I accidently clicked the wrong button! On the wheel, on the wheel, on the wheel... I swear I meant on the wheel!!!

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
Here's the solution to your problems. Get Mr.PaddleShift to create a voice operated shifter using an iDrive or something. That way you can put the paddles in the back seat or wherever you want, just tell it what to do. You can have an additional pair of commands, "oh sh!t" and "oh f0ck me" or whatever your favorite expletives are during emergency/FUBAR situations since screaming "up" or "down" really doesn't fit those scenarios.

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
Jever said:
Here's the solution to your problems. Get Mr.PaddleShift to create a voice operated shifter using an iDrive or something. That way you can put the paddles in the back seat or wherever you want, just tell it what to do. You can have an additional pair of commands, "oh sh!t" and "oh f0ck me" or whatever your favorite expletives are during emergency/FUBAR situations since screaming "up" or "down" really doesn't fit those scenarios.
LOLOLOL :rofl:

:bustingup

Breath... breath...

:thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts