BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i with the SMG transmission and am noticing a couple issues. I assume that its all with the SMG system because I noticed on the driver side of the transmission bell housing a leak. My pump on the other side is also making noises like its trying to suck or push fluid however it doesn't look like much fluid is left in the reservoir. Fortunately for me the car is still driving well and hasn't give me any errors however I know there coming.

What I want to know is the procedure for filling the SMG reservoir tank. I've read that the system has to be depressurized however multiple places say that just to fill the tank its not needed. Has anyone done this before?

On a side note does anyone know what this part is on the driver side that is leaking. I assume its the slave/actuator for the clutch that is leaking and needs to be either replaced or a new O-ring/seal. I have access to a lift however there is no BMW dealer in my town. The closest is 300kms away.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
VIETBOY: Reservoir is located vertically along the right side of the transmission and can be seen when you remove a small heat shield attached with 2 10mm nuts. The reservoir should be about 1/2 full. Shouldn't be an issue unless you have a leak in that system and I would not recommend messing with it.

STIK: Can't tell from your photos what's leaking but you may be able to go on realoem.com and get a parts diagram to help you. The proper procedure for bleeding the system after repairs involves depressurizing and the use of a computer. The pump normally cycles and 1/2 full is about right for the reservoir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey... the smg hydraulic fluid reseviour is located on the passenger side of the transmission. It's a white reseviour with a full cap on the back top. You'll see it. Pain to get to but it's there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIETBOY: Reservoir is located vertically along the right side of the transmission and can be seen when you remove a small heat shield attached with 2 10mm nuts. The reservoir should be about 1/2 full. Shouldn't be an issue unless you have a leak in that system and I would not recommend messing with it.

STIK: Can't tell from your photos what's leaking but you may be able to go on realoem.com and get a parts diagram to help you. The proper procedure for bleeding the system after repairs involves depressurizing and the use of a computer. The pump normally cycles and 1/2 full is about right for the reservoir.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like my smg clutch actuator is leaking and the replacement is around $1500 just for the part. Thankfully I own a shop with a hoist and the labour will be cheap. The only issue is bleeding it at BMW. I'm going to check and see if my whizzy scan tools can bleed the system or if I need to use the BMW software. If I need BMW it's a flat deck ride 4 hours away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts