BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys ,

I just bought a 325CI with the six speed SMG. It is a Nov 2006 model and has 3000 Klm on the clock. Do these gear boxs give much trouble over time. It is still under warranty untill Nov 09.
Just love this car.

Thanks
Neil

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
Hi Neil,

Welcome to the `fest !

Unfortunately, the non-M version of the SMG (at least, the version (SSG) that was offered here in the North American market) proved to be rather problematic, and it was discontinued after about a year and a half of production. Using the SEARCH function for this forum will reveal more info. I wish you good luck with yours....

Regards,
Bob

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Depends on how the previous owner and you drive the vehicle. Given proper treatment, most BMW hardwear is fairly reliable for a few years. However, unless you really love the vehicle (and it is better than any new E90/92), I would move on when you approach the CPO warranty expiration.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The SMGs are so rare that it is difficult to say how reliable they are. I put 25,000 miles on my '04 in four years. The clutch was slipping and was replaced under warranty early this year. (I would call only 25K on a clutch a bit troublesome...)

The real worry from a reliability aspect might be the heavily-electronic control unit and the clutch actuator. I suspect the gearbox itself is almost bulletproof.

I love the SMG and would've kept it forever if BMW would give me a forever warranty! :D

I just bought a 325CI with the six speed SMG. It is a Nov 2006 model and has 3000 Klm on the clock. Do these gear boxs give much trouble over time. It is still under warranty untill Nov 09.
Just love this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

The previous owner treated it like his baby and I don't drive it hard. Maybe I should have looked into it a bit more. They are such a nice car though and I just love this gearbox with the paddle shift as well.

Neil

·
Registered
148 Posts
ruuuunnn!!!!!...........the only way u should EVER keep this car is if u have warranty (and i see that you do)...

and even then with number of times it may go in for repairs.......boy!!

i had one until about a month ago...i put about 10,000 miles on it after i bought it in a private sale with no warranty.........

do a search on the forum...im sur you will find my thread as well as at least 6 other people who had problems with their smg's.....

on the other hand you might be luckier than i was (wont bet on it tho)....

most of all ENJOY!!! cuz i know how addictive and wonderful those boxex are when they are on top form

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe that BWM put out such a terrible gearbox. All I am hearing is get rid of it. It is so nice to drive though. According to my research, we did not get the ssg five speed here. Only the SMG. I am hoping that they we did not get the lemons! Time for another drive, Cancel that, the wife has it again.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
IS the SMG an issue on the M3s too?
To a much lesser extent....M cars get the beefier, more sophisticated SMG II trans, a different animal than the one that came in non-M cars. With all these units, the basic trans is not at fault, it`s the clutch actuator/management system that`s the weak link in the chain.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts