BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SMG Transmission on Non-M car

7696 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Jack Dex
Okay, So as the title says I want to put an SMG transmission on my 325ci.
I know that it will physically fit (the M54 and S54 have the same bolt pattern).
Now how hard will it be to program the DME? Can i get a DME from an M3 and use that?
Now Please i don't want any hate over my choice to want the "Clunky" SMG transmission, but i want paddle shifters, and i dont want an automatic transmission sucking up my power.
In my opinion Sequential (Paddle shift more specifically) Is better then H shift.
So is it possible?
If its not then i will have no choice to get an Automatic and to a manual to Auto swap. Please dont make it come to that.
Regards
-Tim
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is the link to the Transmission.
The seller says it is compatible with the 325, and 330.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-3-SE...413265?hash=item2a91d70111:g:54IAAOSwlQpZ5OAE
The S54 and M54 used different fuel injection (engine control) systems. I suspect this would be a monumental task. The NSA (U.S. National Security Agency) might be able to do it. They have some amazing hackers working there. But, I'd bet you'd end up with thousands of dollars in parts and a broken BMW in your garage. BMW doesn't give up the necessary documentation. DINAN and other tuners have to hack their way around BMW's compiled software code.

I've driven SMG II cars (E46 M3, E60 5 Series). They're nothing to write home about. They behave pretty much like a conventional automatic, except without the advantage of torque multiplication of a torque converter.
This troll account is killing me.
Im not a Troll.
I'm serious.
My next and last question for this Account was What kind of RWD transaxle 6 or 7 speed sequential transmission will fit on a BMW S85 V10? Anyone?
I thought as much with the programming, And if its nothing to right home about i might just leave it or put in an automatic.
Stay away (FAR away) from the SMG, it`s proven to be nothing but headaches !
Can it be done, yes. Can a normal person do it as a DIY, NO! The cost will baloon to the point where you should just buy an M3 with the SMG. Not only will you have the gearbox you want, but 340hp to go with it.
Yea for real. "I want to put TWO engines in my E46!" :rofl:
This troll account is killing me.
You could get SMG, IF you get very cheap good car with it, and then you can take SMG out and put manual gearbox in.

Not like anyone can do it over weekend, I know I can't.
Are we the only ones seeing this? :lmao:
Yea for real. "I want to put TWO engines in my E46!" :rofl:
We all see it. I commented on the twin engine E46 saying it's trolling. Kinda funny that people think this is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Are we the only ones seeing this? :lmao:
Um, I have seen two engines in a boat before, so why not an E46? One in the front, one in the trunk.......could be done. :rofl:
We all see it. I commented on the twin engine E46 saying it's trolling. Kinda funny that people think this is real.

He'd be better off putting a boat motor on the back and driving straight into a lake. It'll float right? [emoji23]

Um, I have seen two engines in a boat before, so why not an E46? One in the front, one in the trunk.......could be done. :rofl:
Speaking of two engines, have you seen the two 1JZ engines combined to make a V12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LVlU6AEnU
You want to Put an SMG 'IN' your car?

This is Madness...
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.