BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Smg

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cowboy Bebop 
#1 · (Edited)
SMG vs SMG II difference?

What is the difference between SMG and SMG II? We are looking at a 2003 M3 SMG convert. with low miles...any opinions?

#2 ·
BrianFL said:
What is the difference between SMG and SMG II? We are looking at a 2003 M3 SMG convert. with low miles...any opinions?
an SMG in 2003 is going to be an SMGll if you are talking M3's... smg is the non-M version that is available on the regular 3er.

#3 ·
Actually true SMG was on teh E36 M3 Euro only. SMG II is the version on ALL E46 M3s. SMG III is coming on the M5 and M6.

The non-M "SMG" is actually SSG, renamed to not confuse US buyers. :)

#4 ·
Pinecone said:
Actually true SMG was on teh E36 M3 Euro only. SMG II is the version on ALL E46 M3s. SMG III is coming on the M5 and M6.

The non-M "SMG" is actually SSG, renamed to not confuse US buyers. :)
I recently noticed that BMW now calls it SMG, rather than SSG, in Germany as well. This is good, since now the Germans can be confused, too. We can ALL be confused! :)

The only way this whole thing could be improved would be if BMW renames their manual gearboxes; they could call them "Steptronic." So then:

Steptronic = Automatic transmission with pusedo-manual control OR manual transmission
SMG = Sequential M gearbox fitted to E36 M3 OR Sequential manual gearbox fitted to E46, Z4, 5er and 6er OR Sequential M Gearbox fitted to E46 or M5/M6 if the speaker forgets to add 'II' or 'III' suffix.
SMG I = Sequential M gearbox fitted to E36 M3
SMG II = Sequential M gearbox fitted to E46 M3
SMG III = Sequential M gearbox fitted to E6x M5/M6

#5 ·
what terry said is correct, the SMG 1 was a euro only tranny, however as they now call the regular SSG SMG, I chose to simply refer to them that way.

either way, if it is 03 then it is SMGll

the regular 3er had a totally different tranny for their SMG, it has fewer modes and options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.