BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Putting the O in O face
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my oil cap today just for the hell of it, and I noticed a small amount of smoke exiting. I blew down it and more came out. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would ignore this symptom. If you really had blow by due to a worn out engine there would be lots of pressure blowing oil fumes out of an open filler port. The car takes care of its emissions in its own way with probably the aid of a computer and many sensors.

Just close the cap and pretend that you didn't look in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I forgot to mention that if you have a Diesel engine there will be more fumes in the crankcase due to the higher compression. This is all normal, in my experience.

·
Putting the O in O face
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Coulda been steam, but obviously it smelt like burning oil. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Ya, I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Coulda been steam, but obviously it smelt like burning oil. Thanks for the input everyone.
Completely normal. It is actually steam (moisture in the oil) being boiled-off from the heat of combustion. It smells like oil because it is inside the case.

- Mike

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
completely normal. it is actually steam (moisture in the oil) being boiled-off from the heat of combustion. It smells like oil because it is inside the case.

- mike
+1

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Completely normal. It is actually steam (moisture in the oil) being boiled-off from the heat of combustion. It smells like oil because it is inside the case.

- Mike
I've seen this before too. Normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts