BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Smolck and guys what do I need along with the Koni's yellows

1437 Views 15 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  smolck
Ok Koni yellows on the way :D along with new front strut mounts and complete rear shock mounting kit.
Is there anything else I need? I plan on pulling the struts and take them to a shop and have the spring from the old ones put on the new ones. Also Smolck what settings have you found to work best for you.
Thanks
md1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I recommend getting new front strut mounts and spring pads. Other than that, you are good to go.
We should put up a sticky with the parts list for this. Tons of Koni shock + spring questions.
Thanks, that's great. Was going to suggest to make one that also shows the RE RSEs and front tower reinforcement plates that prevents mushrooming. Also with tips on parts that are reusable or essential needs for changing.
yeah thats the link I've been reading for my refresh. I got my shocks but need to order the rest of my stuff. Question along the suspension refresh/upgrade topic, I hear great things about Hotchkis sway bars,best fitment and feel. But for 100 bucks more you can get Eibach sway and spring kit? What would you do?
I have had my Hotchkis since 2008. They fit fine, that's for sure, at every adjustment point. I still remember how the handling of my car was transformed instantly after the install and as you tweak at every adjustment, you feel the change outright. This is another mod that does what it says it does. They are hollow too which makes them lighter but can't really compare with any other kit out there. :thumbup:
yeah thats the link I've been reading for my refresh. I got my shocks but need to order the rest of my stuff. Question along the suspension refresh/upgrade topic, I hear great things about Hotchkis sway bars,best fitment and feel. But for 100 bucks more you can get Eibach sway and spring kit? What would you do?
Hotchkis swaybars are the way to go for exact no frills fitment. They work great with the Koni yellows and stock sport/ZHP springs.
To me, what makes the Hotchkis bars so great is the rear bar mounting system. It eliminates the need to reinforce the rear sway bar tabs and also eliminates the chance of breakage in that area. Makes install much easier as well. To me, that is worth the price alone.

I could have picked up a set of UUC bars for about $150, but chose to wait based on the above. The UUC bars are very aggressive and improve handling quite a bit, but they are HARD on your rear sway bar tabs.
Hotchkis swaybars are the way to go for exact no frills fitment. They work great with the Koni yellows and stock sport/ZHP springs.
thx for the replies guys.

Also any need to replace tie rod assemblies?

making me a wish list over at http://www.oembimmerparts.com/default.asp lol
Just stick with Lemforder!
thx for the replies guys.

Also any need to replace tie rod assemblies?

making me a wish list over at http://www.oembimmerparts.com/default.asp lol
any preferred setting when installing the Koni yellow, I forgot to tell what they are going on.
It is a 2006 325CI with over 135000 miles
At first I left them full soft and I suggest you do as well. Once they break in (2000 miles or so) I find 1 turn stiff to be the happy medium between max fun and something I can live with every day. However, 1 turn stiff prior to the 2000 mile break in seemed way too stiff.

Take it for what its worth.
any preferred setting when installing the Koni yellow, I forgot to tell what they are going on.
It is a 2006 325CI with over 135000 miles
another question, would a strut bar interfere with the adjustment in the front?
No
Depends on the bar. Some completely cover the hole, some dont. The ones that dont will not interfere.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.