BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and did not find (even searched x5world!)

I've had the X for about a month and 900 miles. I still cannot smooth out the launch of the car from a stop. I'm either feathering the throttle to slowly bring up the revs for a nice smooth launch - and it feels like I'm crawling through traffic lights - or I'm stepping on it and it's lurching away and snapping my neck.

Being in sport mode helps (3.0 with step, BTW) but is it just me, or is there a way to smooth out the X?

BTW - I love this thing :thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
My '05 3.0 is exactly the same as my '02. No trouble with smooth take offs. You might want to have your dealer check the drive by wire setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coffeeman said:
My '05 3.0 is exactly the same as my '02. No trouble with smooth take offs. You might want to have your dealer check the drive by wire setup.
I was afraid of that... Let's see if I can get the time to get the X there. We got the car before baby # 2 was due - and that's about 3 weeks away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
twm67 said:
I searched and did not find (even searched x5world!)

I've had the X for about a month and 900 miles. I still cannot smooth out the launch of the car from a stop. I'm either feathering the throttle to slowly bring up the revs for a nice smooth launch - and it feels like I'm crawling through traffic lights - or I'm stepping on it and it's lurching away and snapping my neck.

Being in sport mode helps (3.0 with step, BTW) but is it just me, or is there a way to smooth out the X?

BTW - I love this thing :thumbup:
Not sure what rides you're used to. The X5 with a 3.0 has a mid 7 second to 60 time.

It's an SUV not a sports car :D Even people with the 4.4 V8 whine about the launch so you aren't alone. Just a gradual, all be it aggressive, use of the pedal should suffice.

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
279 Posts
WagnerX5 said:
Not sure what rides you're used to. The X5 with a 3.0 has a mid 7 second to 60 time.

It's an SUV not a sports car :D Even people with the 4.4 V8 whine about the launch so you aren't alone. Just a gradual, all be it aggressive, use of the pedal should suffice.
I ACTUALLY THINK ITS DUE TO THE FIRMNESS OF THE GAS PEDAL. IT TAKES A GOOD DEAL OF PRESSURE TO GET THE PEDAL MOVING. FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS I HAD MY 3.0 I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. BUT NOW ITS A PIECE OF CAKE. MY WIFE HOWEVER STILL WHIPS MY NECK BACK WHEN SHE DRIVES IT!

COMPARED TO THE MUSHY PEDALS IN OTHER CARS THE X IS PRETTY STIFF.

NONE OF THIS IS A BAD THING EITHER.

·
Registered
136 Posts
WagnerX5 said:

I think the problem lies more with the throttle-by-wire software. My dealer admited that there is indeed a a lag. I know the exact number is something like .72 or .82 seconds, which is a considerable amount. The service manager said that this was fixed 03+. It is indeed annoying in normal driving. Ive just gotten used to it. Ive noticed that since i have to be more gradual with take off, im also lighter with gas pedal overall :) if i want to take off though, i have a launch built-in :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After I made my original post, I drove the X around on errands. Lots of stop and go.

Maybe I was a bit hasty in my original post. The two cars I drove most often before I got the X were a Saab 9-3 (with it's 1 second turbo lag) and my daily driver Jeep. The Jeep has a ton of low end torque and a very tall final drive, so it is VERY quick off the line for the first 100 feet. Drving the X, I am still getting used to the perception of speed.

The gas pedal is a bit stiff, but if there's a smooth dip into the pedal the X behaves very nicely. If I jab the pedal, there's a serious lurch and head-snap. I think more driving is in order to get used to it :bigpimp: .

(My mustang is another issue altogether. It's got tons of high-end power and torque and a very short 1st gear / final drive. I can't make it across a big intersection without grabbing second!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.