BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited my BMW dealer to look at the M40i. Almost bought it until I noticed smudges: fingerprints on the mirror covers and rainsplatters on the front grille, and they did not remove with water and soft cloth. Was told I could buy a wax to cover all exposed emblems: grilles, side vents, mirror covers, and back M40i emblem. I don't think this is practical, thinking that the exposed exterior features should have been covered with clear plastic protectant. Has anyone else had this problem with the M40i? I decided to go with a loaded X3 30i and forego the 6 cylinder.:thumbdwn:

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
The mirrors should have been painted from the factory. Grill should be chrome or flat black. Aside from the watermarks the color looks like crap with Alpine.
Buy whatever you are comfortable with. You have to look at it for the next few years. Welcome to B-Fest

·
Registered
4 Posts
I visited my BMW dealer to look at the M40i. Almost bought it until I noticed smudges: fingerprints on the mirror covers and rainsplatters on the front grille, and they did not remove with water and soft cloth. Was told I could buy a wax to cover all exposed emblems: grilles, side vents, mirror covers, and back M40i emblem. I don't think this is practical, thinking that the exposed exterior features should have been covered with clear plastic protectant. Has anyone else had this problem with the M40i? I decided to go with a loaded X3 30i and forego the 6 cylinder.:thumbdwn:
Mine came with those smudges. I had the car detailed and they are still there.
I'll have the dealer address them when I bring it back for my 10000 mile oil change.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,164 Posts
i had two rectangular smudges that looked like sticker remnants. goof off was the only thing that took it off.
ended up applying opticoat to all the cerium grey trim, cleans up fine now.
i def would have preferred gloss black trim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts