BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sneak peak: 1995 Hellrot 318ti

11153 Views 55 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  M-technik-3
95 Hellrot 318ti Restoration and Stroker Build

Picked up a 1995 Hellrot 318ti manual w/ about 120k. No rust, new rotors and pads and calipers in the front, and bushings/balljoints are all pretty good... for $700. Only downside, no motor or trans.

Buying a 1995 325i 5 speed parts car tomorrow for $800, M50 and the getrag are going in it. I already have a M50 midpipe with two good cats and a good O2 sensor, just need a muffler which will be aftermarket obviously.

I'll keep you guys updated
See less See more
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
A long overdue update on the project. Progress has been slow because of work taking to much of my time. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to not have a job but still have money to build BMW's :dunno:

Anyway, the route changed from a quick flip, to a keep it for a while, to I'm keeping this thing forever.
The motor is fully rebuilt sitting around waiting to be dropped in.
M50B25
M54B30 Rotating assembly
S50 Cams
3.5" AFI Intake
3.5" Euro MAF
3.5" - 3" Silicon Intake Boot
Ebay Stainless Headers
Rebuilt 21.5lb Pink Tops
TRM S50 Tune for above mods + 7000rpm redline
FULL Rebuild

As far as the rest of the car, I'm still working on the interior/wiring. If I deleted it, ALLLLLL of the wiring came up, from inside the fuse box through the entire harness to the grounds. It's tedious but it's the right way to do it.
Alarm System: All gone (Even the hood switch)
Cruise Control: All gone (Yes, that massive harness)
Washer Fluid System: All gone (Even the brackets for the tank)
Fog Lights: All gone
Sunroof wiring: All gone

I have sourced a headliner from a slick top 318ti that I will be picking up, and I have a fiberglass panel that is being molded into the roof line. along with factory fog light delete panels and the factory interior switch blank out panel for the fog lights.

Audio is the (With stock AMP) 10 speaker setup, speaker harness is from a 97 M3.

More updates to come!
See less See more
Was gonna say am I gonna see this at NJMP in lemons trim? We were debating making the Alaskan Blue one I got last month into a m52 powered lemon. We instead started on the 328is slush box making it a 5 speed rat for the fall race.
You sir, are my hero.
Thanks guys!

Was gonna say am I gonna see this at NJMP in lemons trim? We were debating making the Alaskan Blue one I got last month into a m52 powered lemon. We instead started on the 328is slush box making it a 5 speed rat for the fall race.
Nah, to nice. We have a boston green ti with a M52/5speed that will be rolling in chump, and it might make an apperence at some Lemons races. It's a nice build (Looks faster then it is) so we will get lots of laps in Lemons. Not even sure what car we are gonna bring to NJMP in May :dunno:
See less See more
BAD ASS!

Damn! That is a sweet looking motor. I know she will sound as good as she looks!
:thumbup:
wow its amazing,
that is a real restoration project
WELL. Time for another long overdue update. And no, the car is still not done. But getting closer everyday.

Currently the motor and trans are in. I am waiting on a single shifter piece to complete my DSSR/UUC EVO 3 setup, then my rebuilt driveshaft will go in. Rear subframe and trailing arms and front subframe were sandblasted, front has the reinforcement plates, M3 mounts and E46 M3 trans mounts

All new fuel lines from Germany, all new brake lines, SS soft lines (well, they aren't all in yet. Poly trailing arm bushings and front control arm bushings but OEM dif bushing and OEM subframe bushings. 2.93 188mm medium case LSD rear out of a E30, with new rebuilt E30 axles. New wheel bearings all the way around. 330 ZHP steering rack from rack doctor (13.7:1 ratio), and a poly steering flex disk. She's coming along nicely.

Every single bolt, every E-brake spring to the rotor hold down bolts are new.

Old VS the New

See less See more
SHE IS ON THE ROAD! Sold my beater E24 and now it's my daily for a little bit!

SO far I got 430 miles on the motor, and she's running great. Pulling like a beast, even thou I can't really romp on it yet. Almost ready for my 500miles oil change!

Specs: 1995 318ti 5spd
Slick top (Well, after paint it will be)
No fog lights
No washer fluid system
Rear mounted battery

M50B25 w/ M54B30 rotating assembly fully rebuilt
S50 cams
TRM tune
OBX headers + full exhuast (Loud -.-)
3.5" Euro MAF
Mishimoto intake boot
AFE intake
Dr Vanos

120w Fan wired to 80*/88* aux fan temp switch
Stant alum expansion tank/fan shroud
Alum radiator
OBX hoses
Evans Waterless Coolant

2.93 188mm LSD
Reman E30 axles
Reman M50 driveshaft
F1 Stage 1 Clutch w/ 14.5lb lightened flywheel
UUC Evo 3 SSK w/ DSSR

Poly Trailling Arm Bushings
Poly Control Arm bushings
OEM E30 6 cylinder modified subframe bushings
E46 M3 trans mount bushings
E36 M3 motor mounts

E46 330 ZHP steering rack (13.7:1 ratio)
Poly steering flex disk
Billy sports w/ H&R sport springs
H&R 28mm front sway bar
H&R 19mm rear sway bar
Turner RSM

Reinforcement plates everywhere

Full black 318ti Mtech interior
Mileage correct (To chassis) English unit Euro M3 cluster (Working oil temp)
No SRS/ABS light anymore after swap (God the perks of working for BMW and having access to GT1 :bigpimp:)

All new hard and soft fuel lines
All new hard brake lines
New stainless braided lines
New reman calipers
StopTech street pads
OEM rotors (Upgraded to vented up front from 325)
All new e-brake hardware (Including cables)
All new wheel bearings and dust shields
All new ABS sensors

You get the point. Everything is new or upgraded.

Anyway, on to the pictures. That's all you guys care about anyway :thumbup:

WHATS NEXT: Body work including a full respray (Same 314 hellrot red!), throw on some missing trim here and there and fix some panels gaps, rebadge as a 330ti, and get some nice wheels.

Then a turbo :drive:
See less See more
I NEED to see this thing in person! The stroker m50's intrigue me so much. Once my engine gives up Im going to have to build one.
Very cool! I love seeing updates in this thread.
I NEED to see this thing in person! The stroker m50's intrigue me so much. Once my engine gives up Im going to have to build one.
What's hard to grasp? Factory did it to create the our s50 and s52 Few different way to mix and match parts to make a different engine. I had a M52b28 lying about is how I did mine.

M44 with 5 speed is great but my Ti was an automatic and I hated the sucker. Car is so much better with a six and manual.
See less See more
What's hard to grasp? Factory did it to create the our s50 and s52 Few different way to mix and match parts to make a different engine. I had a M52b28 lying about is how I did mine.

M44 with 5 speed is great but my Ti was an automatic and I hated the sucker. Car is so much better with a six and manual.
Nothing about it is hard to grasp. Its just a different way of doing things with different parts and Im curious to know how/where they make power.
See less See more
Ah didn't think you knew what he meant by it. I see too many people say I want a build a stroke when the have a m20b27 eta engine. It the Eta is a stroker.

OP you can use Z4 rear disc brakes and E36 M3 calipers. 300MM.de sell a kit and others are as well. We are debating doing this to our next lemons build. Since Ti's are cheaper than E30's and e36 are becoming a bit harder to find here in the Northeast.
See less See more
Ah didn't think you knew what he meant by it. I see too many people say I want a build a stroke when the have a m20b27 eta engine. It the Eta is a stroker.

OP you can use Z4 rear disc brakes and E36 M3 calipers. 300MM.de sell a kit and others are as well. We are debating doing this to our next lemons build. Since Ti's are cheaper than E30's and e36 are becoming a bit harder to find here in the Northeast.
It's a street car and the stock brakes are more than good enough for street driving. I did go to front vented thou. Our AER 332ti has M3 fronts. The Z3 rear trailing arm swap is good for a track car but people ask way to much money for them and you don't really need huge rear brakes unless you got a ton of power.

Also thanks for the compliments guys. I already got 800 miles on the motor, and did my first oil change at 500.

As far as the stroker goes; it's the same stroke as a S52 but less bore. If you wanted you could bore it out to the S52 3.2 bore but S52 pistons might not work due to valve clearance, I don't know off the top of my head. The S50 is a slightly stroked and bored version of the M50. You could make a 3.0 M50 stroker by boring out the block and using a S50 rotating assembly, but the M54B30 rotating assembly is cheaper and don't involve having to bore out the block.
See less See more
That is some very good clean work there. I likes how you didn't paint the front cover on the engine and let it contrast itself. I also like how the word "stroker" is also used here on BF now I don't feel left out.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.