BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK, S-03s REALLY suck in the snow. I dropped the pressures 18PSI from my normal driving, though, and it improved things a little bit.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Looks like a nice safe parking spot :eeps:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Question is, how would he get out of that spot? My car got stuck in my driveway a few years ago on less snow then that!

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite easily. The road was flat there. ;)

Going up hill, though, I had the ADB-X system actually cut out... That kind of sucked. Ended up just spinning two wheels. :p

Don't think I'm doing anymore driving. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
S-03's refer to the tires, right? The vehicle itself handles well in the snow, correct?

I'm thinking of 330xi early next year and would hate to blow the $$ on a system that doesn't work in the littlte bit of snow I see in your photos.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Hapy said:
What sucks in the snow?
He's referring to the ultra high performance Bridgestone S-03 tires he has on his car. Any summer high performance tire is going to be miserable in even a little bit of snow. Even on AWD.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hapy said:
S-03's refer to the tires, right? The vehicle itself handles well in the snow, correct?

I'm thinking of 330xi early next year and would hate to blow the $$ on a system that doesn't work in the littlte bit of snow I see in your photos.

Thanks
It works fine in the snow. S-03s are just the next best thing to racing coompund tires. They are BAD in the snow. (Actually, probably the worst summer tires I've ever driven in the snow, as well.)

I'm seriously thinking about winter tires now... With this much snow this early in the season, it may well prove worth it.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ack said:
Nice pics Nick! Your car looks pretty clean for all of that snow. It doesn't look like they salt the roads as badly as they do over here. The snow would be brown from all the salt they apply in Buffalo. My car can't stay clean for more than 15 minutes out on the roads.
I never got onto a salted road. :p The car is cleaner now than it was when I left home... Or, at least the wheels are.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Nice pics ! ! Makes this mess outside almost look fun. I know better when I couldn't get 15 feet from the house this morning.
Did see an xi moving well though.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
It works fine in the snow. S-03s are just the next best thing to racing coompund tires. They are BAD in the snow. (Actually, probably the worst summer tires I've ever driven in the snow, as well.)

I'm seriously thinking about winter tires now... With this much snow this early in the season, it may well prove worth it.
If you do that, you should mount the winters on your current rims, and get a nice set of SSRs for the S-03s.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I am forced to agree... S-03's act like they are made of teflon in snow or icy conditions...

Love them when its warm out though!!

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LSDs...
LSDs...
LSDs...
LSDs...
LSDs...

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
ran a 325xiT with 225/50/16 S03's....

snow wasn't really a problem.

the tires did float (about 3-4 inches of snow on flat ground) and took some doing to get moving, but it was not problematic at all for me.

is it so different with the 17 inch S03's?

anyway. the contiterrible tourings are being used as "winter" tires. i'm really puzzled about this result with S03s in teh snow. obviously they're not made for snow but i had almost zero problems.

how deep is the snow you're wading through, nikolai?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I "had" to run to the supermarket for some items, mainly to see how the car handled in snow.

At the time, we had about 4" on the ground (it's probably up to 5-6" by now), and I had no real problems. This is on a 2003 325xiT with the factory all seasons on it (Goodyears). This was going up & down hills, but probably 2 1/2 miles total at the most.

On the way home from work Sunday morning, it was spin-out city. We had a a little bit of snow overnight. Not enough for any accumulation, but it put a icy coating on the roads. I had no problems, but I must of seen 6 or 7 vehicles spun out along I-78 over a distance of 10-12 miles. Finally, came across the State Police with a "rolling roadblock" to slow everyone down going in the opposite direction.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: ran a 325xiT with 225/50/16 S03's....

pdz said:
snow wasn't really a problem.

the tires did float (about 3-4 inches of snow on flat ground) and took some doing to get moving, but it was not problematic at all for me.

is it so different with the 17 inch S03's?

anyway. the contiterrible tourings are being used as "winter" tires. i'm really puzzled about this result with S03s in teh snow. obviously they're not made for snow but i had almost zero problems.

how deep is the snow you're wading through, nikolai?
The snow was about 5-6" deep.

Basically, the S-03s were fine so long as they weren't really asked to climb hills. Unfortunately, I got myself into a spot (yes, it was stupid) where the only way out was up a hill. I couldn't even go back the way I came... Plus, there was one point where I was doing 20MPH with a following distance of about 15 car lengths, and I had to steer off the road, and into the snow on the side in order to get my speed down. All in all, it was a pretty scary experience.

The thing is... I've driven RWD cars in the snow with summer tires before, an E36 325i and a 740i Sport. I was able to get where I was going without any massive drama. With the S-03s, however, the car was just terrible.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Well I was extremely surprised that my car with my winter set-up(type 79s with the factory conti all season tires) were very good in the snow on my 330i. We had about 4 inches when I was driving.

I remember driving around with my 330CI with the Sport wheels with Michelin pilot's and it was scary. In fact I swoare to never drive on those tires again in the snow . . . to say they acted like teflon is an understatement.

Meanwhile this is the first time I REALLY got to drive my car with these all season tires. I went from being extremely nervous to WOW this car is pretty good in the snow :thumbup:

Man am I happy I didn't sell off these type 79's a few months ago !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice pics. I thought about bringing the 330CI out to see how it would handle in the snow. Then again maybe I'll wait until tomorow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts