BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ninja
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on which snow tires/wheels I'll need for my 335i?
It's due for ED 9/26/06 and probably back in the states/Chicago in November, right before the snow hits. Since I'm getting the sports package the performance 18's will have to go away until March.
Thanks
JT2

·
E39 ****
118 Posts
I have tried several, including the well-respected Blizzak WS-50's, but I keep going back to the technology developed by Nokian Tyres. Given their state-of-the-technology test facility, and the clear indication that other tire companies emulate Nokian's tread patterns, I'd say they are a leader in the field.

I ran a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapeliita 2's on my '88 E28 last year (without the optional studs), and it was so good that would go out purposely looking for hills to get stuck on. I didn't find any. (I admit, the LSD on the car helps.) The snows on the front assured turning and stopping grip that equalled what I was getting in traction for acceleration.

For your 335i, I'd recommend their RSi tread, and go as narrow as you can for the wheels you'll be using. Snow tires work best when they can cut through the snow to the pavement, rather than ride on top of it. You see evidence of that with the better plow operators. They run 7" or 8" wide tires instead of the big mudders.

hth

·
Ninja
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info Plz

Thanks for the recommendation.

I understand about the narrower tires, i.e. not the 225/255's that come with ZSP, but what diameter wheel and tire tire should I get?

Since the 335's standard wheels/tires are 17's and the sports package gives me 18's I'm assuming I need to get (at minimum) a set of 17's for the snow? Or could I fit 16's without hitting my brakes?

Anyone??

JT2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Given the brakes, I believe you'll need at least 17". Would someone else please confirm?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm also getting the 335i coupe with the sports package.

However, due to various reasons I've decided instead of getting a 17" wheel for winter I will just get snow tires that fit the OEM wheel.

What would be the correct size for me if I want to do this?

thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation.

I understand about the narrower tires, i.e. not the 225/255's that come with ZSP, but what diameter wheel and tire tire should I get?

Since the 335's standard wheels/tires are 17's and the sports package gives me 18's I'm assuming I need to get (at minimum) a set of 17's for the snow? Or could I fit 16's without hitting my brakes?

Anyone??

JT2
IIRC with the size of the 335 brakes (lrg. rotors) 17" is the minimum.
Also; you will need to verify offset & spoke style to clear the caliper

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some members have installed E46 m3 wheels on their 335's already, so the snow wheels and tires offered to the M3 may accomodate. As long as the calipers are similar in size I don't see a problem.

Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.