BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and i was decided on uuc, but i've been doing some looking at rogue engineering. while i dont put much stock into the "testimonials" on websites, one guy wrote in about having it installed at a local shop (terry sayer in austin). anyone know much about rogue engineering ssk's? compared to uuc. it does come with delrin bushing. they also have another additional piece, the weighted selector rod which i'd consider, but am not sure if it's worth. if anyone with any knowledge on any of the things i am talking about is out there, please share. i think i may call terry sayer and ask their techs opinions... dunno. RE or UUC... which will it be?

okay after a little research, i have confirmed that the guy in charge of ssk at rogue engineering, ben liaw, is the guy who used to do the SSK for uuc. hence, older reviews of uuc ssk's reference bl/ss kits. at any rate, i'm still looking into whether or not the RE ssk is basically a stock shifter that's bent more as per UUC's comparo site.

uuc comparo site

okay, RE is definately a stock selector that is bent and some things done to it. in which case i'd go UUC. but hopefully someone with more tech knowledge can inform me if the WSR from RE (WSR from RE ) is something that is worthwhile for the SSK as i'm sticking with my stock knob for now... thanks. btw, HACK what's the pricing on the ssk look like from your end? thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had the RE ssk and wsr installed about a week ago... it is awesome... shifts are very stocklike, very slight notchiness, and the throws are more positive... in the end, i decided that if the stock lever is good enough for oem, then it will be a good basis for the short shifter.

i was a little leary about the steel pivot point on the uuc concerning smoothness of the shifter, and felt that a steel pivot point in a plastic carrier would wear a little more than the oem plastic/urethane pivot point in the plastic carrier...

i'm not saying the UUC is a bad unit, because it looks to be a quality piece, and i've got a uuc unit in an old 1980 528i... but i had read about people hearing wooshing sounds, and even tho not everyone experienced it, i have yet to hear anybody with the same noises from a RE ssk, and i have not heard any strange sounds from the RE unit

plus the re is a little cheaper, it includes the bushings...

RE: $250
UUC: $295, add $25 for the bushings
WSR : $95

just my 2 cents, and the testimonies on the RE website are dead on... i also took those testimonies with a grain of salt so to speak, but after driving with it for a while now, i fully agree with those testimonies...

simply put....this RE unit is that good :thumb:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:
...btw, HACK what's the pricing on the ssk look like from your end? thanks
Email me. :)

As far as the two designs are concerned, there are certain pluses for using stock shifters vs. aluminum shifters. The stock shifters are heavier but has a lot of padding insided of the selector rod to dampen noises and vibrations from coming into the cabin. I have a feeling the RE SSK will be quieter than the UUC shifter. However, with the UUC shifter you gain in lighter and stiffer shift selector rod and the custom manufacturing of the UUC shifter allows for the addition of the upgraded cartridge bearings, which will allow for smoother shifts and reduced effort, as well as less wear and tear on the rest of your shift linkage assembly.

My only suggestion is if you can find someone in your area with RE SSK installed, and compare to someone else in your area with UUC SSK installed and make your decision. Despite the fall out between Ben and Rob, I do believe both are reputable and trustworthy vendors and I will have no problem endorsing both of their products (except with Rob I get a nice discount, so I'm PIMPING his stuff more).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KP said:
You know what you're going to end up with Eugene:D . I've been reading lots of people are doing the uuc ssk + Re Wsr. You might want to check into this as well.
yeah yeah, i'll prob go uuc. but RE seems like a good unit. and although it's just a rebent stock selector i do see some advantages to taht. price isnt that big a deal b/c they kits are cheaper for the 325s. i dunno. i dont know anyone in the area with any SSK installed. i am going to have to think on this a little. if anyone else has any other insights? thanks to the replies so far.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: so about to take the ssk plunge

The HACK said:
Despite the fall out between Ben and Rob, I do believe both are reputable and trustworthy vendors and I will have no problem endorsing both of their products (except with Rob I get a nice discount, so I'm PIMPING his stuff more).
dan - do you know what the fallout was over generically speaking? and afterwards did UUC move to the new alum design while RE kept the BL/ss OEM design? also, which design would tend to last longer, etc? i'm not that techincally inclined so a layman's response would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

yeah yeah, i'll prob go uuc. but RE seems like a good unit. and although it's just a rebent stock selector i do see some advantages to taht. price isnt that big a deal b/c they kits are cheaper for the 325s. i dunno. i dont know anyone in the area with any SSK installed. i am going to have to think on this a little. if anyone else has any other insights? thanks to the replies so far.
Having analyzed the stock unit, the uuc has much more quality. If you go with it, I recommend that you get all the upgrades (carrier and cartridge). I started hearing about RE not too long ago, and took a look at their products, but the main reason I went with uuc was because I've never heard too much about RE, and because uuc was reputable for their products (and I am satisfied with my swaybarbarians):D . If you were near here you could drive mine around to get a feel, but it's really hard to describe it:dunno: . Have you read my review?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I have the RE SSK and WSR in my 530i. Installed it myself the day after Bimmerfest.

My decision was based on previous discussion of noise and vibration being introduced with the UUC adjustable unit. I read about a "fix" and a change in their product, but wanted to go with a sure thing. I wanted to install it once and be done with it.

My impression of the RE is that it's great! I don't know why sport models of our cars don't come with this geometry from the factory, but oh well. Keeps the tuners in business which is a good thing!

I find the RE smooth, though slightly notchy compared to stock. Engagement feels more like a sports car and the reduction in throw and shift knob height are very comfortable. I no longer feel like I'm rowing to shift.

The kit is complete with everything you need, excellent instructions, and with access to a lift, it's quite easy to do. If anyone is interested in seeing some comparisons and pics from my install, visit:

http://www.jvrconsulting.com/sskinstall

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I think the choices comes down to personal preference...Because if you dig around a bit the prices of both kits are very similar.

I personally love the UUC product but have no experience with the RE product. The shifter I got was TIGHT and especially combined with the upgraded bearing produced a very solid feeling shift and dramatically reduced the throw. Anyone living in Southern California with the RE shifter, I would love to get together and compare the two shifters in terms of feel so we can provide Eugene with an objective review of both?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The HACK said:
Anyone living in Southern California with the RE shifter, I would love to get together and compare the two shifters in terms of feel so we can provide Eugene with an objective review of both?

Anyone?
Dan - you are the man. even if there isnt a comparo done. thanks for all the help. i'm still not convinced one is better than the other... hmm, i'll hold off til mid summer anyways. hopefully by then i'll have the money for ssk and sways and save you another price check.;)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Well, it'll still be nice to have an objective comparison between the two competing products for others who might be in the same boat...I'll ask around to see if someone has the RE installed on the E46 (wouldn't be fair comparing different model mods) and hopefully we can make some recommendations based on the comparison.

And one way or another (if you're getting the RE or the UUC) let me know if you have any questions on the installation...I've done enough now where I can safely assume "expert" title when it comes to SSK install. :)

I'd offer to install it for you fer FREE if you want to make the long trek out to So. Cal. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The HACK said:
I'd offer to install it for you fer FREE if you want to make the long trek out to So. Cal. :lmao:
hmm, tempting. nice summer road trip. i do have a cousin in SF, so i could stop in on the way. make a trek of the fest CA regulars on the way. (= drive to socal... hmmm haha. tempting tempting..

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I've looked into both, and ultimately chose the UUC for several reasons. Mostly, I like its very solid design and construction. I like that the pivot ball is metal riding in a nylon (stock) cup. Dissimilar materials tend to work better together in these kinds of situations, and you also know that in the unlikely event that part wears out, it will be the cheap little nylon piece, which can be replaced. The same with the lower bearing, which is replaceable delrin by default with the ball bearing option (which I got). I wasn't too keen on the idea of paying $100+ for some improvements made to a stock ~$50 lever in the RE.

There are two things about the RE system that I do like, which are the weighted collar and the WSR, the former which you can probably rig up on your own, and latter which can probably be fitted to a UUC setup.

As for some of the issues that people have had with the UUC, I've had them too. The sometimes-excessive notchiness is pretty much gone (there is still more effort than stock but its no longer excessive IMO) after a few months of use, and the noises (which was really bad on mine) are now pretty much gone after a call to UUC and a couple drops of super glue. I don't mind the small bit of extra vibration that comes through, as it gives me a more 'connected' feel.

I like Dan, would like to see a RE in action for myself. But without that, taking the cost of a full-boat UUC setup (Delrin carrier bushing+bearings) against a full RE (with WSR), I personally feel the UUC has a slight edge in overall value, primarily due to my feeling that there isn't that much value in a modded stock lever vs a custom engineered/manufactured one, regardless of which is 'better.'

·
Registered
40 Posts
i think a comparo would probably be best to do... one guy on another board (e46fanatics) had driven both, and then chose the RE based on his own personal comparison.

i'm not saying one is better than the other cause one person might like one and the other might like another... it's all personal preference... it's probably best to drive both ssk's and make your own decision, instead of basing if off of other peoples review's, as different people like different things...

but i'd be down to meeting up with someone w/ a UUC and comparing the 2... :thumb: ... i'm in socal btw

it seems to me that all the guys i know have the RE just as i do....

my humble 2 cents...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
hbmike said:
i think a comparo would probably be best to do... one guy on another board (e46fanatics) had driven both, and then chose the RE based on his own personal comparison.

i'm not saying one is better than the other cause one person might like one and the other might like another... it's all personal preference... it's probably best to drive both ssk's and make your own decision, instead of basing if off of other peoples review's, as different people like different things...

but i'd be down to meeting up with someone w/ a UUC and comparing the 2... :thumb: ... i'm in socal btw

my humble 2 cents...
I'm in So Cal too and I have the UUC shifter...Email me if you're interested in meeting up sometime in the near future for a little comparison.

By the way, I DO NOT like others driving my car so it'll have to be something like sitting in a parking lot comparing the shifts, and then each taking a ride in each other's car for comparison in noise. Think that'll work?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
hbmike said:

my humble 2 cents...
Heh, that's funny cause everyone I know has UUC.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.