BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:
...btw, HACK what's the pricing on the ssk look like from your end? thanks
Email me. :)

As far as the two designs are concerned, there are certain pluses for using stock shifters vs. aluminum shifters. The stock shifters are heavier but has a lot of padding insided of the selector rod to dampen noises and vibrations from coming into the cabin. I have a feeling the RE SSK will be quieter than the UUC shifter. However, with the UUC shifter you gain in lighter and stiffer shift selector rod and the custom manufacturing of the UUC shifter allows for the addition of the upgraded cartridge bearings, which will allow for smoother shifts and reduced effort, as well as less wear and tear on the rest of your shift linkage assembly.

My only suggestion is if you can find someone in your area with RE SSK installed, and compare to someone else in your area with UUC SSK installed and make your decision. Despite the fall out between Ben and Rob, I do believe both are reputable and trustworthy vendors and I will have no problem endorsing both of their products (except with Rob I get a nice discount, so I'm PIMPING his stuff more).

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I think the choices comes down to personal preference...Because if you dig around a bit the prices of both kits are very similar.

I personally love the UUC product but have no experience with the RE product. The shifter I got was TIGHT and especially combined with the upgraded bearing produced a very solid feeling shift and dramatically reduced the throw. Anyone living in Southern California with the RE shifter, I would love to get together and compare the two shifters in terms of feel so we can provide Eugene with an objective review of both?

Anyone?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Well, it'll still be nice to have an objective comparison between the two competing products for others who might be in the same boat...I'll ask around to see if someone has the RE installed on the E46 (wouldn't be fair comparing different model mods) and hopefully we can make some recommendations based on the comparison.

And one way or another (if you're getting the RE or the UUC) let me know if you have any questions on the installation...I've done enough now where I can safely assume "expert" title when it comes to SSK install. :)

I'd offer to install it for you fer FREE if you want to make the long trek out to So. Cal. :lmao:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
hbmike said:
i think a comparo would probably be best to do... one guy on another board (e46fanatics) had driven both, and then chose the RE based on his own personal comparison.

i'm not saying one is better than the other cause one person might like one and the other might like another... it's all personal preference... it's probably best to drive both ssk's and make your own decision, instead of basing if off of other peoples review's, as different people like different things...

but i'd be down to meeting up with someone w/ a UUC and comparing the 2... :thumb: ... i'm in socal btw

it seems to me that all the guys i know have the RE just as i do....

my humble 2 cents...
I'm in So Cal too and I have the UUC shifter...Email me if you're interested in meeting up sometime in the near future for a little comparison.

By the way, I DO NOT like others driving my car so it'll have to be something like sitting in a parking lot comparing the shifts, and then each taking a ride in each other's car for comparison in noise. Think that'll work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.