BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,907 Posts
I've looked into both, and ultimately chose the UUC for several reasons. Mostly, I like its very solid design and construction. I like that the pivot ball is metal riding in a nylon (stock) cup. Dissimilar materials tend to work better together in these kinds of situations, and you also know that in the unlikely event that part wears out, it will be the cheap little nylon piece, which can be replaced. The same with the lower bearing, which is replaceable delrin by default with the ball bearing option (which I got). I wasn't too keen on the idea of paying $100+ for some improvements made to a stock ~$50 lever in the RE.

There are two things about the RE system that I do like, which are the weighted collar and the WSR, the former which you can probably rig up on your own, and latter which can probably be fitted to a UUC setup.

As for some of the issues that people have had with the UUC, I've had them too. The sometimes-excessive notchiness is pretty much gone (there is still more effort than stock but its no longer excessive IMO) after a few months of use, and the noises (which was really bad on mine) are now pretty much gone after a call to UUC and a couple drops of super glue. I don't mind the small bit of extra vibration that comes through, as it gives me a more 'connected' feel.

I like Dan, would like to see a RE in action for myself. But without that, taking the cost of a full-boat UUC setup (Delrin carrier bushing+bearings) against a full RE (with WSR), I personally feel the UUC has a slight edge in overall value, primarily due to my feeling that there isn't that much value in a modded stock lever vs a custom engineered/manufactured one, regardless of which is 'better.'

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,907 Posts
hbmike said:

but i'd be down to meeting up with someone w/ a UUC and comparing the 2... :thumb: ... i'm in socal btw

it seems to me that all the guys i know have the RE just as i do....

my humble 2 cents...
Heh, that's funny cause everyone I know has UUC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.