1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sure.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Based on everything im reading on this forum, the e36 just gives too many problems?
That all depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to do or pay to keep your car up. If you are looking for a car that you can buy, keep the oil changed and have few problems (i.e. Toyota or Nissan), then the E36 is not the car for you. As I'm sure you have read, these cars require quite a bit of maintenance and have some bugs that crop up from time to time. But remember the ages of these cars too.

My 95 325is has almost 214K miles on it (I bought it with 123K) and the only thing that I have had to do that is major is have the fuel pump replaced in 10/07. After coming to this forum, I realized that I could have done it myself. I recently diagnosed a bad fuel pump relay and replaced the part for $15. I probably saved $100+ dollars or quite a bit more by not having it towed to a mechanic.

Also, some people on this forum like to keep everything pristine and like new. They address and fix every little problem that comes up. That's because they love how the BMW feels and drives. It truly is a driving experience, not just a ride.

I personally don't address every little problem that comes up (well, not immediately if it doesn't likely lead to a major problem). My goal is to drive the car to it's life limit without chunking down major $$$. I have been successful so far. I had a 92 525i that I just loved. Drove it from 127K to 256K at which point reverse went out and it just wasn't worth it to have the tranny replaced. The only major things that I had to do to it was replace the radiator (which I did myself) and have the front strut cartridges replaced. I'm currently looking for another E34 that I can drive and let my wife drive the E36.

Hope this little diatribe helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can't really take everything found in a car specific forum to decide that a car is too much trouble. There are mechanical forums for just about every car made. Sadly you don't hear much about how awesome it is that the car isn't broken, because it doesn't make any sense to ask why your car still works. You just have to decide if the cars common faults are faults you're willing to deal with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Based on everything im reading on this forum, the e36 just gives too many problems?"

My 2 cents: That would be a fair statement to make only if forums like this are your sole basis of research before making any statement. By nature, thread starters in forums are usually seeking a solution to a problem. Not too many threads are started by owners that are more than satisfied with their cars: "Hey, I just noticed my visor is still tight and like new after 260,000 miles. Anyone else have great visors?" ;-) But if an owner does have a problem, this is a great place to ask about a solution.
More cents: e36 cars have a well deserved reputation as performance oriented "sporty" sedans and coupes. As such, many may have been "driven hard, and put away wet", and have ended their useful life. Others were also driven hard on occasion but pampered with great care. Still others were hardly used up at all, and have many great miles still left in them. Search carefully for a well cared for, documented e36 and you'll have a ball. And expect to continue that care.
Still more cents: Quite a few of the owners on e36 forums are younger "car nuts" that are very excited to get their hands on a fairly inexpensive sport car, and are anxious to get his/her pride and joy into tip top shape. They avoid the dealer and his high prices like the plague (can't blame them), and use forums to look for solutions that don't break the bank. Maybe because of that, an impression is made that these cars "give too many problems". The truth is, maybe some of the cars you can read about here are well past their lifespan, but the new proud owners are determined to keep them running. Bravo! It's their keen spirit that keeps these forums lively.
I've been lucky enough to have had three 3 series cars. A well cared for e36 will "give too many pleasures". Happy hunting.

Larry

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
Yeah they're awful, horrible horrible cars- Buy a honda.....:flush:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Everybody thus far has made very good points about the e36. But if you haven't noticed this forum has a topic for darn near, if not every, BMW made. In every hub, every topic starts with, "this is broke and dangling", or "my engine is about to explode!". BMW's have a reputation of being very reliable, if expensive to maintain, vehicles. But so are Audi's, Benz's, and on occasion VW's. All cars are subject to the one person that can keep them running and happy, the driver. Vibrations, weather, local road conditions, even the grade of fuel you use affects every part of whats going on. My car was bought from a gentleman that thought oil was a magic elixir and as long as it was changed everything else would stay tip-top. After being nursed back to health, she's been one of the best cars I have owned. As with anything else, it's a buyer beware sort of deal. Love her, she'll love you back.

·
Synth Oil & Vodka.
970 Posts
"Based on everything im reading on this forum, the e36 just gives too many problems?"

My 2 cents: That would be a fair statement to make only if forums like this are your sole basis of research before making any statement. By nature, thread starters in forums are usually seeking a solution to a problem. Not too many threads are started by owners that are more than satisfied with their cars: "Hey, I just noticed my visor is still tight and like new after 260,000 miles. Anyone else have great visors?" ;-) But if an owner does have a problem, this is a great place to ask about a solution.
More cents: e36 cars have a well deserved reputation as performance oriented "sporty" sedans and coupes. As such, many may have been "driven hard, and put away wet", and have ended their useful life. Others were also driven hard on occasion but pampered with great care. Still others were hardly used up at all, and have many great miles still left in them. Search carefully for a well cared for, documented e36 and you'll have a ball. And expect to continue that care.
Still more cents: Quite a few of the owners on e36 forums are younger "car nuts" that are very excited to get their hands on a fairly inexpensive sport car, and are anxious to get his/her pride and joy into tip top shape. They avoid the dealer and his high prices like the plague (can't blame them), and use forums to look for solutions that don't break the bank. Maybe because of that, an impression is made that these cars "give too many problems". The truth is, maybe some of the cars you can read about here are well past their lifespan, but the new proud owners are determined to keep them running. Bravo! It's their keen spirit that keeps these forums lively.
I've been lucky enough to have had three 3 series cars. A well cared for e36 will "give too many pleasures". Happy hunting.

Larry
Could not have, could absolutely not have put it better myself. I drove a late model Japanese "sports car" for a five years, and picked up what many would've considered a "raggedy" old Bimmer, my 318, and i can say without doubt that i have no, no , no regrets. The RSX was still a CIVIC, and in my BM coupe, even though im not a mega mechanic i've put the bentley manual and this awesome forum to use and have replaced worn parts and upgraded the wheels, and it runs hard above 4k and it is the LOWELY 4 bangin model...but its an INLINE 4 and its rear wheel drive...id have to pay S2000 money for that elsewhere. Pick up an E36 with solid recordes kept, buy a damn Bentley Manual and Enjoy.:bigpimp::)

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts

·
Search: Top right corner
1,127 Posts
My car always needs something but I can tell you this at 212,000 miles this car feels and drives (most of the time) as well as a low mileage e36 m3. Now bmw's may not be toyota or honda quality but I have never been in a toyota or honda that felt newish after 50,000 miles...BMW's age very well when it comes to they way the feel, unlike a toyota or honda. So have your reliability and I'll have my empty wallet, dirty finger nails, busted knuckles, and big grin when I drive my car that is definitely more than just an appliance.

·
Dream Green or die
713 Posts
my car always needs something but i can tell you this at 212,000 miles this car feels and drives (most of the time) as well as a low mileage e36 m3. Now bmw's may not be toyota or honda quality but i have never been in a toyota or honda that felt newish after 50,000 miles...bmw's age very well when it comes to they way the feel, unlike a toyota or honda. So have your reliability and i'll have my empty wallet, dirty finger nails, busted knuckles, and big grin when i drive my car that is definitely more than just an appliance.
+1

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
This thread is ridiculous.

·
His Name is Carlos
1,458 Posts
ahah thats the fun part, it breaking and you spending money and time on car you spend quality time with your car:D i loveeeeeeeee my e36 its got 192k and still goes hopefully more if not il rebuilt the engine and start over ahah

·
Registered
456 Posts
Still more cents: Quite a few of the owners on e36 forums are younger "car nuts" that are very excited to get their hands on a fairly inexpensive sport car, and are anxious to get his/her pride and joy into tip top shape.
+1
That quote applies directly to me. :thumbup:

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
:confused: :dunno:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
yes op please buy a Honda so all of our e36's can stomp you in turning and reliability
WHAT?! :bustingup

I don't think anyone has ever claimed BMWs are reliable. They're an amazing driving machine, and they'll last forever with proper maintenance, but reliable they're not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts