BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice car for the money. Good cargo space, excellent driving position, EVERYTHING standard, 4-wheel discs, 16" rims, Dunlop 5000's, optional 6-disc in-dash changer, height-adjustable seat, nice styling, etc etc.

The clutch is extremely light in action, with just about no resistance to movement. Took quite a while to get used to. The release point is very high like the E46, which is annoying. Brakes are strong and progressive, with a firm pedal. Power is decent off the line, but quickly wears off as wind becomes a factor. I'd be going in for a conversion to the Mazdaspeed Protege engine coming out in the sedan this fall; 170hp with an LSD! :D This car also reminded me of why I hate FWD so much. Even with those 16" Dunlop's, I was spinning the inside tire constantly from launch and on 1-2 shifts. :mad:

Still, you have to take it for what it is, an econocar. It blows away any Civic or Corolla I have driven, and that's all that matters. For $21k Canadian loaded (meaning moonroof + A/C), it is an incredible deal. Immediately after I left the dealership I took off aggressively around some curves in my 323. The amount of body roll was astounding! The Protege5 actually felt more buttoned-down. Weight is an ugly thing. :banghead:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I saw LOTS of Protoge5s when I was in BC last year.

The press really seems to like the Protoge5/MP3 handling (wasn't there 1 comparo where it beat the E46M3?!?) and claim its the best handling small FWD car since the old SE-R or original G20.

Its the most overlooked subcompact buy in north America, IMO.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Yea, a lot of people don't like Mazda.. but until I get my 330 or M3.. I'm very happy in my Millenia so far.

All the amenities, good solid construction and materials (cept in some areas) and it handles well for a FWD car. Too bad it's slow as dirt :p

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
I have been teasing my wife lately telling her we should of got her a Protege5 instead of her 325iT and save $15k;)

I think it is a good looking little wagon. I was hoping they would offer the turbo engine it that they are planning for the sedan. The biggest complaint I have read about it is the lack of power.

Cool car for someone with not a lot of money. Too bad the WRX wagon isnt as good looking.

Jeff

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hehehe, even one of my BMW service advisors told me that Mazdas were underrated (previously drove a 1988 Mazda 626LX Touring Sedan... which it looks like Mazda is bringing back next year to the USA).

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I really like the little half-wagon. It won that C&D comparo very recently too, mostly because of its great handling capabilities. When I head off to University next year I doubt I'll be able to maintain payments on the Bimmer, so I'm shopping for alternatives from NOW. :)

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I love Mazda's and had a 2 RX-7's and a Millenia 'S'

The Millenia NEVER had one prolbem in hte 18-20 months I had it.

Mazda's are underrated for sure . . .

Thanks for the review !!!

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Alan F said:
I love Mazda's and had a 2 RX-7's and a Millenia 'S'

The Millenia NEVER had one prolbem in hte 18-20 months I had it.

Mazda's are underrated for sure . . .

Thanks for the review !!!
I've had mine for 4 years come September... and nothing I've done except change the oil and brakes (which was a necessity).

Oh, and there was one bearing that broke, cost me another 80 bucks (installed). So there's my labor costs over 4 years. And I drive like a maniac, proud to see my car's in good shape still.

·
749 Posts
Mazdaz

I think it's a good looking car... better that the Toyota Matrix competitor.

I have a 99 Miata 10AE and flog the crap out of it and it doesn't even blink. The 6-spd. gearbox is big fun.

I'm seriously considering the RX-8 when it comes out in 2003 but I'll have to trade the Miata, can't get rid of the Coupe.

Self-serving garage pix attached....

Attachments

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Hey, I owned mazda, protege, and had a miata as accesible nearly daily at the time. Drove both alot, I certainly could never say anything bad about the cars. If I were to go back to a jappo carro It would certainly be mazda, or maybe acura.. I have always thought these cars are extremely well balance for being a crap in the box econo jap car. I think for the price range, it beats just about all the other jap/american competition.

·
Golf Fanatic
26 Posts
Personally, I like the direction Mazda is going with their lineup. Their developing attractive cars that have 'fun' built in -- or shall I say 'zoom zoom.'

The Protege is a good example. Nice looking 5 door hatch that'll hug the road and give you a smile. Now only if they added a bit more hp -- the car would really 'zooom.' :)

Too bad Mazda won't bring its 5 door sibling to the states. The new '6' is gonna be a hit IMO.

:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Actually I'm waiting to see the RX-8, which should be VERY nice.

0-60 in around 6 seconds flat, and 50:50 even weight distribution. And get this.. comfortable seating for 4 with a decent trunk for its market segment. All for under 30k.

Should be very, very interesting to see. I will say right now that the Nissan 350Z will outpower that RX-8, but I have a feeling the RX-8 will outhandle the 350Z and many others by a lot. That's what Mazda said they were focused on with this car, not to mention making a 'useable' sports car that BMW has done for years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts